Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Cap water leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89VJimmy, Jun 20, 2003.

1. 89VJimmy

89VJimmy Registered Member

OK, I can't take the water leaking in the back of my '89 any more!!! I bought new seals and my special security torx bit and I'm ready to go. I was just looking for anyone who's done this before that could offer any tips.... i.e. best way to lift cap, use a sealant of any kind on the seals, etc. All advice is welcome. Either post here or e-mail: mbolotine@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

-Mike

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I can't take the water leaking in the back of my '89 any more!!! I bought new seals and my special security torx bit and I'm ready to go. I was just looking for anyone who's done this before that could offer any tips.... i.e. best way to lift cap, use a sealant of any kind on the seals, etc. All advice is welcome. Either post here or e-mail: mbolotine@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is supposed to be the screw in plug? not the block plugs that you have to press in?
    Either way you need to put some kind of sealant on the plugs.
    On the press in caps I use indian shelak, on the threaded plugs I use teflon tape or type 2b permatex sealant

3. 89VJimmy

89VJimmy Registered Member

OK, I can see where I screwed up.... My description is a bit ambiguous. I'm talking about the main body cap, that makes up the entire aft of the truck (from behind the cab to the tailgate).

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

the topper /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to be tackling this job someday soon, and black RTV was suggested as being a good adhesive for the seals.

I noticed on at least the older ones, a thin strip of butyl rubber (or something very similar) is used on the bed rails just aft of the B pillar, apparently to make sure any water that gets between the two cab to topper seals doesn't run down the sides and into the bed.

I've also seen Vaseline mentioned as a good preventive measure on the seals when you reinstall them, so they don't get stuck to the bed rails, etc., but it doesn't seem thick enough to last to me.

Edit: Looking for another post, found this one. Vaseline is not the right choice. GM recommends, and I use, dielectric grease. Obviously when exposed to weather for long periods it wears off and/or picks up dust and what not, but where not exposed it keeps the seals from sticking long-term. Also supposed to help with their longevity.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I can see where I screwed up.... My description is a bit ambiguous. I'm talking about the main body cap, that makes up the entire aft of the truck (from behind the cab to the tailgate).

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Like Dorian said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

I used a foam tape that I purchased from a truck cap dealer. It's about 2" wide and maybe 3/16" thick with adhesive on one side. I stuck it to the topper anywhere it contacts the truck. No more leaks. When you take off the topper it stays with it. It's faom in the middle with adhesive on one side and a plastic coating on the other so it does not stick to the truck. It comes in rolls.