Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Carrier Broke - G80

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5, Dec 18, 2001.

1. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Well I got the bad news today. Rear tires were locking up when going around turns. We thought it might be the posi, but the carrier is busted. The mechanic said I have to replace it with another posi. Is that true? I was just gonna get a rear from a junkyard cause I have to sell it. But he said I'd have trouble finding a 3.42 posi in a junkyard. $600 for parts from GM, easier and cheaper to throw in an old rear. What do you think?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

3.42's aren't that hard to find.. If you are ging to sell it just put an open carrier in it like you wanted to! And ask the mechanic why you "have" to use another posi one! You can use an open carrier!

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can find 3.42's pretty commonly in the suburbans of the 80's. Open and posi carriers are interchangeable, (either will fit in other words) so yes, hes smoking crack. Unless you live in an unpopulated area, there should be an unlimited supply of trucks with 10 bolts being parted out. I paid $200 for the last PAIR of 3.42 axles I bought.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I called about 20 junkards here in San Antonio and I found ONE 10 bolt hat was 3.08 and a 2wd/5 lug axle that was a 28 spline. It was $350 Doesn't that suck??

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

5. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Called a bunch of junkyards. No posi 3.42s, actually no posi anywhere. Damn, $585 for a new carrier!

6. dyeager535

Well, first off, unless you want posi, you don't NEED to have it, it will just jack up the price. (thought you were selling the rig?)

Second, for the most part (in my area) stay the hell away from wrecking yards when looking for 4WD axles. They want $500 at one yard here for a front 10 bolt! Look in the paper and the local classified papers, and find someone parting out a Suburban or Blazer...its not hard.

Interesting tidbit I learned from the dealers brochures on the K5's, in the 80's, at least some years, if not all, a 350K5 couldn't get optional 3.73's, only 3.42's. A 305 could get optional 3.73's, but not 3.42's. I remember looking in my old firebird manual, and you could get darn near any axle ratio you wanted...sigh.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Dont put one back in it. I just went through the same thing. The gov-lok exploded in my burb. All I did was put a open carier in its place from another rear end I had laying around. Now if you are going to sell it them just throw the gears on the open carier and dont worry about setting them back up.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. dyeager535

I wouldn't hesitate to put another in my rig. I know its limitations, and the one in there now is 15 years old already, and still works. Posi would probably work as well for me because of my mainly road driving, but when I need it locked, the gov-lock does the job. if I get 15 years or more out of a component, I don't think I could consider it bad.

Dorian