Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear coil to leaf spring conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ed rex, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ed rex

ed rex Registered Member

So, trying to move the running gear from my wrecked 70 GMC Jimmy (4wd) to a 68 burb (2wd). Got the front suspension done, a grueling rivet grinding experience. Turning attentions to the rear which is the coil spring setup with the control arms. It's 1/2T, I need to install my 1TFF leaf spring rear end. Figure to simply grind mounts (I'm quite efficient at it now) and re-install on the burb frame. Hmmmm....after ripping off the old rear suspension I've come to realize that the frame is quite different....instead of being straight, it bows out about 4" over the real axle area in order to accomodate the coil springs. So now how do I mount the leaf spring mounts? The spot on the frame that I would normally install the mounts is at an angle. Anybody else out there encounter this issue? What'd you do? Any suggestions? Thanks....

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how much lift you going? why not just build the mounts down of the stock coil set up and keep the bars and coils. Just build bar and coil pockets on the other rear end to fit.