Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Coilover Kit?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Sandman, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I was wondering if this has made it anywhere past the maybe list yet. I plan on changing to a different setup this winter with a relocated rear axle. Wondering if you had anything in the works. Thanks.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The axle brackets are done, link arms are basically made to order, all that's left is the frame brackets and some kind of shock mount for the top. The upper shock mount is going to be the last on the list since that has a lot more room for custom mounting.
    The coilover mount is integrated into the housing bracket, so all you have to do is weld the housing bracket on and maybe add a limit strap tab.

The frame brackets could get kind of complex, spreading the stress through enough of the frame rail may require building a new t-case crossmember/skidplate to make it work.

That's kind of where it stands, if you're serious about it, some of this could get accelerated a little, or you could use the parts we have and build some of it yourself.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i've been looking a a 4 link rear, but lack the shop to build it (not to mention math is not my thing)

will you be making the arms for each rig based on provided measurements? will this be for all K5's? do the different body's of 2nd Gen K5's make a difference on this kit?

Lastly, is this at a point where a prototype would be available?

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Good GAWD man, I guess I missed where this was in the works. Have we got ANY idea on pricing yet. I know I can't afford a doubler, so this is prob. out too, but my truck rides like a stagecoach on the best of days.

Need a test rig? Maybe someone to sweep the shop? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Ive got a winter project.After I clock my T-cases.

6. Stephen

Hmm, questions about price seem to always pop up. I'm thinking that setting a rig up with a rear suspension like my K5 will run about $3K. This is a little rough but I know there's $1200 in shocks and coils, about $900 in link arms and joints and it's pretty easy to go up to $3K from there with axle brackets, frame brackets and crossmembers, limit straps and bumpstops, etc.

We're considering a cheaper coil kit (no coilover) with different arm geometry to drop the stresses on the links so we can use a less expensive joint and less expensive brackets, but I know how well my suspension works and how much clearance it has and I want to be careful how much that's compromised.
    I know the separate coil and shock would work OK for most use, the coilovers are nice because they're easy to mount, have a lot of tunability, and on a recreational rockcrawler will never fade, but these features aren't essential.
    The link geometry and clearance are pretty important, most link suspensions have worse clearance than good old leaf springs and if it's not set up right, you can have a very poor torque reactions and axle control compared to leaves. So the links are really important.

7. Sandman

This might be unrealistic for me then as I plan to move the axle back at least 6". I believe that would change the design enough to become a custom job. Maybe I'll stay with the leaf setup now and look at it again in the future. Thanks for the reply.

8. Stephen

Mine's back 3" or so, I don't see where building the arms a little longer would mess things up too bad.
    Incidently, after taking most of the body off my K5, my advice would be to move the front axle forward all you can to increase wheelbase. There are definitely limits to what would work in the front but I'd push it all you can. It's pretty easy for these things to get nose heavy. Mine's about 60/40 now and I wouldn't want to have any more front bias.

9. Sandman

I just remember that one of the biggest issues that I was having was scraping the rear on a steep climb. the rear overhang cant be good. There is a guy on the board (blazinzuk) who has moved his front axle forward 4" by building his own front spring mounts and using Dodge springs. Perhaps I will look into that. I will try to keep in mind the weight balance but with a full body I believe that there are limitations set. I suppose fiberglass and aluminum could help to combat this some. Hey, its only money right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Stephen

Removal is much cheaper and is the lightest option available.....
    There's not much you can do with the departure angle until you get rid of the big gas tank. I had my rear back about 3" and cleared the tank with the diff but not by a whole lot. Past that a bigger tire is about the only option and that only goes so far.

11. Sandman

There are definite advantages to removal but I just like the look of the Blazer. Maybe if the rear was moved backwards, I could get a fuel cell in front of the axle up between the rails. I am running a 3" body lift so it does give me some room. I also have my gas tank raised up 3" so that might help with the rear clearance issue. If I do relocated the tank, I might as well chop some off of the back as well. With the tank out of the way, it doesnt look too bad. I need to do something, Even with the tight bumper and 40" tires. I still scraped the heck out of the rear. I think this winter I'll get it into the garage and spend some time measuring and maybe try to build up a CAD model of it and do some playing around. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Any more news on the ORD rear suspension?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Stephen

Nothing new right now, except we're dealing with bilstein on coilovers now so we have some choice for the shocks. We've monkeyed with my brother's mounting points and seem to have the suspension working better. No solid progress on a release date. If anyone wants brackets that aren't assembled, we can do that, it'll require a bit higher level of fab skills but the geometry is done.

14. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Start talking to Fox so you can get some Air shocks fo tha phat boys. If they had an airshock that could handle a little more weight, that would be . I love my airshocks, and wouldnt trade them for coilovers; its just that most of the full size guys cant take advantage of them due to having heavy rigs.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd think larger airshox would have the same problem as maxing out the limit of the present ones. High pressure required.

16. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Any more news?

17. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know that Stephen has been talking to shock suppliers about pricing, support, and availability. He is in Mexico at the San Felipe race this weekend and should be back Mon. afternoon sometime.
    I think the kits are creeping ever closer just not at a lighting fast pace. Good stuff takes time.

Like my mommy always told me Patience is a vertue.

18. Stephen

We're working our way there, we have a truck in the shop that gets a kit this spring and there's a possibility that we'll have a kit together to display at EJS. The hard part of this is trying to refine the bracketry to make it cheaper and simpler to build for a production kit.

Price looks like it will hold around $3K including the coilovers.

As for air shocks, there's a chance of getting a 2.5" air shock and they might work out OK, they're nice and tunable. I talked to a guy over the weekend that's running an airshock with a light coil on it and was really happy with it in a heavy truck/high leverage situation.
    One problem with most air shocks is they are an emulsion shock and tend to fade and foam quickly so for general purpose use they are not the hot item. Even after a couple of strokes they start going away. If you add a reservoir the weight and price go up and negate most of the advantages of an air shock.