Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear cutting brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nova, Apr 2, 2007.

1. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

I am running detroits in my 77 blazer and was wondering if cutting brakes would help in the rear for turning? and would they be a legal form of emergancy brake for inspections?

If anyone out there is running them on there rig, where would the best place to get them? any pics?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes cutting brakes would help turning, but not so much unless you have a twin sticked case. Where they really really help, is when you kick the transfer case into front wheel drive, then actuate the cutting brakes. Otherwise a Detroit wants to lock up and overpower the brake.

In the state of Pennsylvania they WOULD NOT be considered a legal form of parking brake. The service brake(normal stopping brakes), and parking brake must be 2 completely seperate systems. You can have a hydraulic setup for your parking brake, but it cannot be run through the same hydraulic brake lines as the service brakes. Thus in case one fails, you still have the other.

3. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

yeah i have a doubler with a 3 sick set up. so cool thank you.

now on the legal part if i put a transfer case mounted disc on then it would be legal?

does anyone out there now of a good way for a 2 brake line set for the rear that would be legal?