Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear CV driveshaft questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, May 21, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is my other post about swapping an '89 C1500 body onto my '79 K20 frame CLICKY My K20 of course is a long bed but my donor C1500 is a short bed. Initially I was going to try and find a long bed for it, but as jmd4x4 suggested I could just chop the frame and use the short bed on it, and I'm starting to like that idea.

So, my main concern is a making the rear driveshaft work. My rear shaft now is only 48" long. I will need to take out 14" of the frame to fit the shortbed, making that 48" driveshaft only about 34" to 35" long. The truck has 10.5" of lift in the rear. I want to just shorten the existing shaft but the numbers aren't very promising and I think my u-joint angles will be too bad. Does Jesse make a CV shaft that will bolt up to my fixed yoke NP205 (1310 u-joint I think) without a yoke swap? Any other concerns or comments? Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get a 205 CV yoke from a 78-79 Bronco... i think its a 1330 series. Get the shaft from the same bronco and have it re-tubed to the length you need.