Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear cv shaft vibration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MJB774X, Mar 22, 2004.

1. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

at about 50mph I get a vibration I think its the driveshaft, I have a 1350 cv rear shaft, the pinion does not point straight at it so I think thats the problem, how do I figure out what degree shim to install, I also have a zero rate block, I know you can buy them that are already tapered, does anyone have this set up so I can just get the same block instead of guessing?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ummm...if you will not be needing those zero rates... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif i sure could use those. Sell?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was told you use an angle finder to check that. Diveshaft guy say you must shim it to within 3 degrees of the driveshaft. If it is slightly down it is better , remember axles moves pinion up on accelleration. Your profile says 6 inch lift. Is it springs and blocks with zero rate or something else. My four inch shackle flip put my 12 bolt perfect. When it is shimmed proper after finding angle it should look like this:

[​IMG]

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The pinion angle doesnt have to point straight at the t-case. The two angles where the ds goes to the t-case and where the ds goes to the rearend have to be within 2* of each other. I had to drop my t-case 2 inches and use 2* shims.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just going off what I was told by driveshaft guy and pictures at Tom Woods site. I have no problems with mine, even on freeway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif