Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear CV style driveshaft and towing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Sep 28, 2001.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have been planning to convert to a rear CV style driveshaft along with my new 14-bolt, but I am concerned about how it will perform towing. I plan to use the Blazer to tow a pop-up camper (approx 2000 lbs). It seems like the driveshaft angles will be affected by the rear of the truck sagging under the weight of the trailer tongue. Am I likely to have vibration problems whenever I tow?

DJ
    78 K5

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I have a rear CV shaft and I love it!... CV is a 1330 and it uses a 1350 at the axle. I've had no problems with it.

Marv

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

With a CV driveshaft you should never have vibration.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

After trying my best to visualize the geometry changes of the rear suspension and driveline, I'm thinking you won't have any problems. Yes, the pinion angle will change slightly (I think it'll tilt DOWN towards level) due to suspension compression, but unless you're running like 500+lbs tongue weight on soft springs, it won't be that big a change. At the same time, the driveshaft angle will change (It'll tilt UP towards level) with suspension compression, so everything should cancel itself out, more or less.

Bottom line: Load your truck up as if you were heading out, slap the trailer on (2000lb trailer should have around 200lb tongue weight, BTW), and drive around a bit, close to home. Pay close attention for any shakes/rattles/vibrations from below. If everything's OK, then you're in the clear!

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

You'll have no problems towing with the 14BFF and a CV joint driveshaft. I've been doing this for 3 years and tow a 24' travel trailer (4500#) with no problems.

A good firm grip is my idea of gun control!