Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Dana 60 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Dec 23, 2005.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Nov 30, 2002
    I was wondering if you guys think a rear Dana 60 with 35 spline axles and a full spool would take 750hp/900tq when the truck is being used as a weekend sled pulling truck or sometimes a weekend mud racing truck? The truck already broke the pinion in half once, was wondering if there are any gear companies that make a ring and pinion tougher that would take this power? Or should I not waste my time and money and just get 14BFF and weld it up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

May 26, 2003
    Get a FF14 bolt. The 35 splines shafts in the 60 are probably strong enough but the ring and pinion are not. The 14 bolt has much better gear tooth contact, a third pinion bearing (to keep the pinion from climbing the ring gear, this causes quite a bit of the r&p failures), obviously a larger ring and pinion, etc. Why even think of putting a 60 in this truck?
  3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

May 23, 2005
    Because it said D60..... Go with the 14FF, you could brobably use the weight on the rear end anyway