Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear diff died please help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by texsub, Jan 12, 2007.

1. texsub

texsub Registered Member

The factory limited slip in the rear of my suburban started poping real bad in corners so I think it is dead. I need a cheep repair option untill I can upgrade the rear. (Would like to swap in the 9" from one of my 3 Fords not ready for that yet.)
    2wd Chevy trucks are very common around here. When I was growing up you weren't cool unless you had a 2wd Chevy short bed. (That is why I have 3 Fords:D)
    What Chevy 2wd truck rears will my axles and drums fit?
    10 bolts only or will they fit the 12 bolts also. My Suburban is an 87 what trucks would be the best possable donars.

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

So I think you have a 10bolt with six lug axles.
    And you have access to a 2wd chevy axle?

Preferrable find another 10bolt six lug axle and simple swap.
    Or, find a 10 bolt 5 lug axle and pull your 6 bolt axle shafts and put them in place of the 5 lug axle shafts. Change bearings and seals at the same time. And clean everything good.

That should get you buy. I did same thing only with a 12bolt 6 lug with a 12 bolt 5 lug. Last about 3 years of daily driving.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

What years? 1987 or older down to 77 or 80 or whenever GM went to 10bolt.

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

What size tires you running?

If running bigger than 35's, you may look into a 14 bolt full floater.

I love my 14 bolt. The peace of mind that comes from knowing that your tire is not gonna fall off if you snap an axle shaft is great.

5. texsub

texsub Registered Member

I have 31s on it now. I have a set of 33s ready to go on it as soon as I get it fixed. I want to put 35s on it eventually but right now I'm looking for the best solution on limited funds. I do want to upgrade at some point either to a 14 bolt or put 6 lug axles in one of the 9" rears I have already.

6. hunterguy86

Might as well go 14 bolt now in my opinion and this is why. If you spend the money on the 10 bolt, you wont get that money back if you try and sell the axle. So in essence, you spent that money twice. Put the money you would use on the 10 bolt to a 14 bolt and you will be further ahead.

Thats just my 2 cents.

7. texsub

texsub Registered Member

Your sig says you have a 10 bolt front and a 14 rear are you running 8 lugs f&r?
    Or is there a way to convert a 14ff to 6 lug?

8. hunterguy86

Yes I am running 8 lug front and rear. I got diffrent backing plates from an 8 lug dana 44 and swapped them to my 10 bolt. I also got hub/rotor assemblys from that same axle cause they were in great shape. However, you can buy new hub/rotor assemblys from any autoparts store around for cheap. You just have to tell them that you need parts for an 80's (whatever year really dont matter as long as its a 3/4 ton truck with a solid axle) truck.

9. texsub

texsub Registered Member

I just found an 81 one ton crew cab dually 4x4 w/350 4 spd in the local paper for $1050 OBO. Does any one know what combo this truck should have? D60, 14ff, and 205 maybe???

10. hunterguy86

I think you are correct. However for that 14 bolt to work you will have to cut and move the spring perches out. The perches are narrower on a 1 ton because the springs are under the frame instead of outside the frame like urs.

But that being said, I would be all over that like flies on a dead horse.