Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear diff. drain plug, damn thing stuck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, May 6, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i was gonna check the oil level in the rear diff cuz of wierd metal on metal sound back there, so i try it with the breaker bar and wouldnt budge and stripped it out, today took it to texaco lube express, they had a special piece thingy to fit it, and it took a 230lb feller and about 3ft worth of leverage, and still didnt budge, so they stripped the [censored] out of it, and said its been there so long and heat so intense its practically welded in there. then the local 4x4 shop tells me that i gotta have a machine shop do it, im assuming the will drill it out and rethread and put a new one in? any other ideas, is this expensive, only way to go, any help?? thanks... btw, i read a post a couple days ago about the most stubborn bolts or whatever on your truck, and so far, this is the blue ribbon.....

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Drill it out to a good size... maybe 3/8" or 1/2" or so and get a big easy-out. The extra heat from the drilling might do it some good.

If it still won't go, drill it out until its basically gone and re-tap it.

Theses tools might cost you as much as having it done, but then you'll have the experience and some tools for another project.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would assume that is what the machine shop would do. Just curious, what 4x4 shop did you go to?

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Is this in the inspection cover, or the housing?

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I had that same problem about 3 years ago, Thats what I had to do was take it to a machine shop thay removed the plug, did not find out how but thay did. Here is a real good note when putting one back in, gett one that has a square top to it that sticks out, that way the next time you can just put a wrench on it and remove it. Did not cost alot to have them remove it at the machine shop about $15, and that was including the new square top plug, but it did take them along time, about 3 hours.

LooksBack

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What if you heated it up around the plug? Like you would do on say, oil galley plugs.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

That would work.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

or...take off the diff vent fitting and check the oil level from there, just measure the distance from it to the fill plug. you can also fitt it through the vent...been there, done that

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

the shop was Young Four Wheel Drive, used em before, i like em, and nice ol boys. how bout this, rather than goin through hell with takin the axle off etc, is there somewhere that they make the diff cover with the plug hole there, rather than on the housing, where can i find one, and could i take the one i have now off and have it drilled and tapped, thanks yall...

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had to weld a bolt onto mine. Then used a ratchet on the bolt then just cleaned the threads and put a new one in.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Same thing happened to me, I did what Kevin said and employed the talents of the all-mighty EZ-Out! It took about half an hour and now I'm a rear-diff-maintainin'-mofo! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

mine was stuck on my s15 and i stripped it out too.
    so i drilled a hole in it , then used an ez out.
    cleaned up the inside , new plug and gear oil and good to
    go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif