Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear diff locks up .... without a locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Nov 16, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

yea, so i was backing up outta my driveway the other morning, and i noticed the inside rear tire was skippin like it was locked up. put it in drive and it went away. it kinda freaked me out, but it didnt do it again so i figured it was a fluke (thats a bad thing to figure...). well, it did it again several times this morning.

its a 97 yukon with a 10 bolt and no locker/posi (unless it hasnt worked for the past year and a half and is just now starting to).

anyone ever had this happen? what is causing this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif kinda unnerving knowing that your diff could grenede at any second /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    : kinda unnerving knowing that your diff could grenede at any second /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Possible that the brake pad is dragging/ jamming?
    Pull the wheel and drum, have a look....

Rearend??? Don't know-
    I think you need to pull the cover, and look for bad news /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Would'nt drive it around too much until you look at the gears.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'd look real close at the spider gears. Brakes are a possibility too, but I'd still look in the diff.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It's a free locker, don't bitch!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Just kidding, hope it's nothing serious /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Have you owned the truck since it was new? You sure that it doesn't have a Gov-Loc that just has never worked? Either way, sounds like it's going to go kaboom at any time.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have seen alot of problems with the 88-98 era 10 bolt rear 8.5" axles, have seen several break apart, a guy i know locally who has a 95 k1500 pickup has had to buy new gears and everything for his 8.5" twice now

GM apparently quit making good axle parts back in late 80s or before even, im always going ot try and avoid anything later 80s and up with an 8.5" rear, cant avoid 8.5" up front though but ive enver seen any fornt axles come apart, but not alot of ppl have 4x4's around here though

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

and also...most people rarly ever use 4x4 so the front diff usually dont get much use anyhow /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. thezentree

i didnt think the 10bolts came with gov-lock...
    whats the code for gov-lock on that sticker in the glove box (too tired to remember what the correct term is)?

its not brakes, because the wheel is spinning faster than it should, as in, its breaking loose and spinning rather than being dragged.

good lord, it never ends /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

time for a 14BFF... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

the GM code for a Gov-Loc is G80. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Lots of 10 bolts come with gov-locs, expecially in 4x4s.

11. thezentree

so, my truck IS gov-lock equipped...

next question - why is it just now starting to work? i dont know too much about em, are they just a limited slip

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

next question - why is it just now starting to work? i dont know too much about em, are they just a limited slip

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely is that it is just starting to break /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not the news you want to hear, but sounds like a Gov-Lok that is about to bite it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. thezentree

awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

maybe i can get the 'rents to help with that 14BFF conversion...

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely is that it is just starting to break /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not the news you want to hear, but sounds like a Gov-Lok that is about to bite it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Gov-Locs are kinda funny, sometimes you don't even know they're there until they explode and scatter bits all over the place. At this point I'd venture to guess that you have some pretty fancy carnage going on in the bowels of the diff.

Keep running it for awhile and you might be able to compete with zcarzcar for the worst 10 bolt carnage. Better yet, get your 14 bolt ready to go, then right before the swap take the truck to the end of the driveway, put one tire in dirt and one on asphalt, rev it up to 5 grand and drop the clutch or do a neutral drop on it. That should make for some real interesting fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif