Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Diff problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Aug 26, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I feel horrible, this is my second post in as many days...but here goes. I got back from my annual training last week, and noticed a new noise...occasional so kinda blew it off /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif But when i got to work the other day could smell gear oil...well, stopped by the parts store, got some oil 'just in case' and put almost a full quart in! well, it started to leak from the diff, up around where the pinion comes out....Crap. Anyhow, my long commute to work (2 miles) look and a puddle started to form under my diff (matter of 2 minutes). I left work, put it in reverse and a horrible chatter/crunching noise as i back up....put in it drive, no noise. Should i tear into it, or just friggin go to the pick a part and get a new axle? I read someones post earlier today, and replaceing all the guts seems a bit out of my league shims and adjustments and....aahhhhhh. Before I lose hope, is there an 'easy' fix? to my knowledge its a factory 85 axle, not HD. I don't have a ton of $$ so upgrade both isn't really an option. If it'd be easier, how much would a pick your part axle run me? Thanks!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I didn't have a ton of money either when I broke my Gov-Loc 'ed 10 bolt axle . I went the pick a part route also . I lucked out and got a good axle with the same gear ratio I had , which is important if you use the 4wd . Shouldn't run too much money , and if you get the same type you can reuse your existing brakes . I think between 85 and 150 would sound like most yards ( at least by me ) . The rear you have will cost that much and then some in labor alone /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

ok thanks for the input...not looking forward to it

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It's possible that the only problem with the axle is a loose pinion nut. That could let the pinion destroy the seal. It would also account for the horrible noise in only one direction. If that is the only problem and you haven't driven it too much, a new seal and pinion nut could be all you need.

One step further would be a bad pinion bearing. That is still a do-able repair. It requires pulling the carrier out (at least for the rear bearing), but it does not require new gear setup. You just have to take note of how everything came apart and put it back the same way.

If the problem is any worse than that, you probably want to get another axle.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If the pinion nut is loose for any amount of time, it will likely eat up the ring and pinion. That's exactly how my first 10 bolt rear axle failed.