Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear diff problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I opened up my rear diff last weekend and I found that I had
    a limited slip. It had springs and clutchs is this the infamous gov-lock? I have no clue what they look like so can somebody help me out on this?

My problem is when turning my drivers side rear sounds like the brakes are binding up with my foot off the brakes,
    when I am going straight it does not make a sound when I slow down (almost stopped) it starts to make the sound again but not to intense until I turn. no sounds that i can tell are coming from the passenger side. When I Put fluid back in it I did not have any additive (finally got it today) Could this be the cause? or could it be that my Drives side tube bearing is bad. the best why that I can describe the sound is a popping with a nice bang shortly after, it does it until I stop or get going straight again, it will also make the sound when I start to back up

If this does not make any sense at all I will try to explain better this is driving me crazy

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

2. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

I had the same symptoms. The popping sound intensified when i was turning up a step hill or driveway while on the gas. It turned out that I blew an axle bearing and also toasted an axle. Pull your axles and inspect them. Also, check the spyder gears in the diff.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Use the GM posi additive and it will go away provided you have no mechanical damage.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the break down, now I can figure out what I have
    the problem seems to be in the drivers side brakes (thank god) they are shifting towards the back Why I don't know yet
    but I will figure it out so Thanks again

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon