Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear diff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87 mid canada k5, Mar 20, 2001.

1. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

OK here's the symtoms the old girl has, started out as a really heavy clunk or bang that you could feel through the seat of your pants, one of those sounds that makes your stomach turn. This only seemed to happen when making a right turn, leading me to think i have a diff problem because i know the tires turn at different rates when rounding a corner. It sounds like something is binding then letting go and making the noise in the rear of the truck. I've also noticed slight growling sound and sometimes a resistance feeling when i step on the gas and the bang happens off the line now. The u-joints look ok but i'll have to take a better look on a flat surface, my driveway has a pretty good slope and keeps pressure on the drive line when parked.Anyway i'm fairly sure it's the diff but was wondering if any one else came across these same problems and can point me in the right direction. ( maybe it's time to head to the wrecker for that 14 bolt and lose the 10) I think i'm gonna pull the cover off tomorrow and look for damage (and oil, the pinnion seal has been dripping for a while now). see ya!

Denis

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 89 did this for a while, about 6 months. Rear end did go out. I would start saving some money.

3. 87 mid canada k5

Thanks for the input, i also came across a great site for rear end answers, and there's even a couple of calculators to figure out gear ratio/rpm tire size and such. It belongs to randy's ring and pinion, good one to bookmark for reference. www.ring-pinion.com

Denis

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup sounds a lot like the rear blowing out... my 10B is in a similar state... although the pinion bearing is going to crap. Just to be sure you can pull the driveshaft and check the u-jt's. Very hard to tell if they are bad on the vehicle.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. 87 mid canada k5

Yup, did that right away, talked to a few guys and it sounds like the spider gears are the culprit, the web site i mentioned above says it sounds like someone hitting the pumpkin with a 40 lb,. sledge, and those were my thoughts exactly. i want to change to 3.73's anyhow so now's probably a good time, of course i'm looking at $1000-$1200 for the swap plus whatever other damage has been done already. seriously thinking of taking her off the road for a few years to complete all the work that has to be done, have to pick up a car to scoot around in for a while. mind you after driving around in a little mazda 626 that we rented i sure appreciate that truck even our safari van makes me feel a lot safer. i was having trouble seeing around hondas for sh*t sake!

Denis

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If it were me, I would head to the junkyard and try to find a rear with the gears you want already in it. 3.73s are not hard to find and you might even just pick up a 12 bolt. Pull the cover and make sure everything looks good before you buy. Then, a few hours and a couple hundred dollars (max) and your back on the road with a stronger rear end. Since the cover will be off, might even be a good time to stick in a lock-rite or something. I would probably avoid a junkyard limited slip diff since the clutches may well be worn out unless you are sure it is low mileage.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.