Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(Rear) Disc Brake lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DieselDan, Jan 2, 2002.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ya know that feeling you get when you realize something ya should have noticed long ago...

I just noticed today after we pulled the engine from a HMMWV, looking at the disc brake lines. They are ALL hard lines! Keep in mind the differential is bolted to the frame and the brakes a mounted inboard, at the diff. I just assumed that there would be a flexible line attaching to the caliper, especially 'cause the calipers (front & rear) are FLOATING. All the flex is done by a small "pigtail" in the tubing just before the caliper.

Checked the parts manual and all the versions use this method, until the most recent A2 variants (which do utilize a short brake hose). I don't think there was any safety issue involved in the change, the Army gets pretty wound-up with safety modifcations and such. I guess those with rear disc brake conversions that wanted to run a hard line to the caliper really wouldn't have much of a safety concern after all.

I should have known this before 'cause I have pulled the calipers off at one time or another. At the time it just didn't seem that important..

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I got the SS lines anyway - gives ya a higher level of comfort at least. I order them from TSM...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Solo,
    That's the step i need to order before i can put mine on. Any magic to doing that step? Just cut existing lines, new fittings, and go? (bleed, etc of course).

I've been a tad nervous about that as it's my daily as well! need to line up all the parts 1st! (in rural Wis myself and nearest parts bin is 15 miles away... if they don't have it, it's a 120 mile round trip!)

I dont' think i'd want a solid setup on those, even if HUMVEES do it!

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you know I'm not exactly sure... I had help with my lift, and I'm not the one that put those on. I was doing the front while somebody else played with that.

I'd call TSM (and I would get my calipers there without quesiton if you are looking for e-brake) cuz you'll be ordering them anyway. They can tell ya whatever you need to know.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>