Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Disc Brake Swap Stories.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Aug 4, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I swapped my 14 bolt to disc brakes this weekend with the set up from Az Kickin Offroad. So far so good, no problems. It stops on a dime. I was thinking I would lose a fair amount of weight in the rear but once the hub is seperated from the drum I think the new rotor weighs the same as the drum if not more. Am I wrong? I was also told I may experience brake chatter b'cos of no pressure in the caliper. And a residual pressure valve would cure the chatter. Any ideas? Is an adjustable proportioning valve nescessary? Like I said so far my set up is flawless. I'd like a little more rear grab but I could prolly stand to bleed them a little better. The pedal is a little soft. Lemme know what works for you.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No chatter here. Rotor is definitely lighter than the old 13.5" one ton drum (plus backing plate, shoes, springs, levers, wheel cylinder etc etc)

I also felt I could have bled them a bit better...but pedal feel improved over the first couple of days to where I think it's just fine. I find they are not as 'grabby' as the drum rears, yet they stop the truck faster (with more control). I run the stock combo/prop valve and D44 calipers.

Rene

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

True Rene, I didn't take all that other stuff into consideration. My biggest thing was cost. I needed to replace both drums and this set up was actually cheaper. I got the rotors at Auto Zone for $25 apiece. Classic Industries Catalog wanted (are you sitting?) $429 each for 3/4 ton front rotors /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I called them and asked "but what if I don't WANT the gold plated monogrammed rotors", I don't think she understood I was being sarcastic.

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey did you run into any snags while doing the conversion Im getting ready to do the same things Im just trying to piece everything together. Any tips would be great too...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

$429 for rotors...each????? Were they attached to a D60 front?/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Hey Spencer! The disc conversion is one of the easiest mods Ive done. Its really straight forward. If you have any questions send me a PM, Id be glad to help.

7. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Looking at doing the disk swap myself, how did you set your front/rear bias?

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

CaveBlazin and HardCore, depending on what rear you have it differs a little. The 10/12 bolt rear you need to open the pumpkin to remove the axle but other than that it really is a snap. I got lucky and was able to remove the studs from the 14 bolt hub with a hammer and punch. I clocked them forward but only cos that's the way Az Kickin OffRoad had there blazer set up. It doesnt have any preference. I would like a little more rear stopping power but I can work that out later. I found out today Auto Zone has El Dorado calipers for about $30 apiece. Dunno if they include the brake levers but Az Kickin sells them too. If you have any Q's shoot me a PM Glad to help out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif