Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Disc Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Aug 8, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What is involved to change over from my shoes to discs on my rear 10-bolt? Do they make a kit for the 10-bolt? Does it really make the stopping power that much better?

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. On the street they make a little beter brakeing performance.
    Off road, when your in mud and slop the differance is uncomparable!!When your rear shoes get wet they s!!ck,but disc breakes work no mater what.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I haven't heard about differences, but there are some people who run the TSM kit and their are some people who made their own kits out of Front 10 bolt backing plates, rotors and calipers! The only bad thing is you will loose you parking brake with front calipers.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

5. Emmettology 101

I think I may have read this post wrong, but this is how I am going to tackle this:

PArk on the tranny and the parking brake are two unrelated things. Park on the tranny is to take it out of gear and "park" your vehicle.
    Your parking brake is to aid or help out your tranny in keeping th vehicle stationary and help take some stress off your tranny by also hold ing the vehicle still. Your parking brake also doubles as an emergency brake which if your hydraulic braking system goes out or you blow a line and have no brakes, you have a mechanical back up so you can safely come to a stop.

I haven't had a parking/emergency brake on my Jimmy for the past 2 years since I took the cables out, but all the years before that it never worked anyhow.
    However without a parking/emergency brake, your tranny is the only thing holding your vehoicle stationary during a stop like on a hill and that is a lot of added strees to the internal compents of the tranny.
    I plan on installing a line lock to be a praking brake for on the trail, but then again, it works off of the hydraulic system and if that hyd. system fails, I have no brkaes!

Man, makes me kind of worry thinking about not having an e-brake! :)

Mike [​IMG]

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Emmett,
    Dude, you're starting to scare me. My Ebrakes don't work either. What a Piece(OS). I think I need to fix my E/brakes now.
    But to throw out a question. Say if I got a 14bolt rear and a D60 front. Is it at all possible to take out the front disk brakes and calipers and all that on my old D44 and put that on the rear 14 bolt? Might sound like a dumb question, but man, I think that would be a good cheap way to have rear disk. Also would shave off a lot of weight from the heavy brake drums the 14bolt has.
    Boss

7. Emmettology 101

I htink with the 14 Full FLoater you need to have a spacer made for the rotor to stick it out far enough, I belive i saw you need about 1 1/2 inch spacer. Then other than that, I dont see why it wouldn't work.

E-mail this guy, his name is Steve Shaw: steve.shaw@cdott.com

He has done a simialr swap on a 14FF and probably could help you better. I dont know if he will remember me though, but tell him what you are pondering. I think that is his similar set-up.

Mike [​IMG]

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Are the disc brake conversions compatible with anti-lock brakes?

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What I meant by my earlier post was, I don't use my EBrake now as it is. I rely on the Tranny to keep my rig stationary. Even when I dropped numerous of trannies before I always had park. I understand you should also use the EBrake as a backup incase the hydrualic brakes go out, but that is where that line lock would come into play. Ya'll are giving me some good stuff to think about though, keep 'em coming.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Rather than farting around trying to fab up caliper mounting brackets for a rear FF 14 bolt, why not just spend the $110 and get a pair of beautifully crafted TSM caliper brackets? Then get a pair of Ford F350 front rotors, and a pair of '76 Caddy Eldorado calipers and you have disk brakes!

ken

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

You're probably right Ken; it's just not worth the hassle. My only question from earlier is can Chevy front Dana 60 rotors & calipers be used in the rear on the 14-bolt with the TSM Bracket?

Brian
    89KBlazer

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No. The TSM setup allows the usage of easily and cheaply obtainable parts. Dana 60 front components are not considered cheap or easily obtainable!! That's the beauty of the TSM kit!!

ken

13. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

does anyone know how I can contact TSM, I am very interested on disk brakes for my 14 bolt.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

14. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I have a few quick easy questions,
    What year F350 front rotors?
    Are those front or rear 76 Caddy Calibers ? (if caddy even had rear disk in 76?)
    Would I need to change the master cylinder or booster?
    With the "ORU" kit don't you keep the E-brake?
    (I have a 1990 1ton 4X4, so the 14boltFF was factory equip on mine[​IMG]

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The "Park" function of your transmission can never be hard on the internals of the tranny. It is really the same as nuetral except that a little arm is engaged that is pushed over and prevents the output shaft from turning. If you put enough force on the vehicle, the potential harm would be that you would break of the teeth and let the vehicle roll. From that time forward, you would no longer have "Park", but just two nuetrals.

Converting to rear discs is compatible with ABS IF you have a way to mount the wheel speed sensor so that it works. In fact, if you can do this, having ABS means that you don't have to worry as much about getting the front to rear proportioning right after the disc brake conversion.

85 pretending to be a 90
    350 swapped in for stock 305
    5" of suspension lift 33/12.5/16.5

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ken is completely right, I have the TSM disks on my 12 bolt and it is a bolt-on application. The TSM catalog gives you a number to call a cable company that will make the new e-brake cables for around $30 each. I am ordering mine as we speak. The disks on the rear make it stop like a Corvette. Ok, maybe not that good but they did improve the stopping power. It did not require anyting special nor did I have to change master cylinder or add a proportioning valve. Call TSM at (303)688-6882 and order a catalog.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

17. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Scoobydoo, to answer your questions...

I have a few quick easy questions,
    What year F350 front rotors? 1980-1990, check with TSM though.
    Are those front or rear 76 Caddy Calibers ? (if caddy even had rear disk in 76?) REAR!! Check wrecking yards, I got mine for $15/pair
    Would I need to change the master cylinder or booster? NO!
    With the "ORU" kit don't you keep the E-brake? Dunno, but with the TSM kit, you can have custom cables made to adapt the Caddy Eldo e-brake to your existing e-brake lever.
    (I have a 1990 1ton 4X4, so the 14boltFF was factory equip on mine

ken

18. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Thanks Ken,
    I think I now know my next project!
    if something else doesn't break and suck all my cash before I get to it!

19. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

20. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Why can't I use my cables that I have now? How much are the new ones? Is there any way to get a mecahincal (not hydralic) p-brake without Eldo calipers?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>