Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Disc Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cocky, Mar 20, 2000.

1. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I have a 70 k5. Front discs and rear drums. If i keep my 1/2 ton axles i have been thinking about doing a rear disc conversion. I was under the impression that this will significantly increase your braking power but i talked to a guy today that said this is not true and rear discs are just for show.. So my question is, will it help? Thanks in advance for any information.

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You might not get a huge increase in braking power, but you should get some. The main advantage in using discs is in the ease of maintenance. Discs are also cool down and dry off much quicker, so you should have less fade and still have brakes after going through water.

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

They'll work better than drums, and aren't as prone to fading, but the front brakes still do most of the work when traveling forward, the guy you talked too dosen't know that much about disc brakes, or has a lack of experience with them, TSM has a great conversion package for the rear by the way......ask that dude why race cars run discs at all four corners, or why motorcycles have 'em in front and back?....White Knight

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Another main advantage to Disc's is the fact that you don't have to run home after wheeling and tear the rear tires off to wash out your drums. Discs are self cleaning, they do offer better stopping ability, as WK said, why do all the HP vehicles have them, and other vehicles offer them as a option? If it was just for looks, I wouldn't be willing to pay the money for it. heck, for the $350 I paid for them on my rearend (that will SOMEDAY be put into my blazer) I could have did a lot of stuff that would have made a big difference looks wise...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

When you change the drums to rotors...do you have to change the proportion valve as well?

Just askin... [​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, you should change the proportioning valve as well. You should use either a valve designed specifically for that setup or an adjustable valve.

7. What does the 14 bolt FF TSM kit come with and what would I need to find?

<font color=red>The last time I tried smokin' my tires, the mud put'em out !! BigBurb

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I think I saw an adjustable one in the LMC catalog...can't recall the price.
    You know it would seem that someone would put together a nice kit that would incompass all the required parts to do the job.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

TSM contacts???

Anybody know how to get ahold of the people at TSM? I have a used TSM kit for my 12 bolt and I need to ask some questions.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

10. cocky

cocky Registered Member

Re: TSM contacts???

TSM phone number is (303)688-6882. Also thanks for all the information about rear discs

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

11. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Drums have a higher static holding force than discs, but discs are better at everything else. Disc brakes cool quicker, self clean, and fade less. A great combination is discs in the front and drums in the rear. A rear drum emergency brake is the best. If you wheel in mud and water a lot then rear disc brakes would be beneficial.
    CB

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

OffRoad Unlimited has a complete kit for the 14-bolt rear. You can order it with the e-brake or without. I think it comes with a new master cylinder as well. The thing ain't cheap though, something like $1500 with the e-brake.

http://www.offroadunlimited.com

Kyle
    89K5

13. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, what up with that. Why the flock are they $600 more for an "e-brake" caliper... I take it they don't have the manual activation that the more expensive ones do ... but six hundred smackers??

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

14. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I went to a "sportmans" trade show several years ago and spoke with a Honda ATV technician. He said the buying public wants their ATVs to be equipped like their modern SUVs, meaning disc brakes all around. Technician said the better setup is actually drums on all four wheels, weather/water tight. Keep the road out of the drums and they are safer and more dependable. With discs you may need some braking distance to dry/clean the rotors. Distance may not be available in some situations.

15. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    As far as the adjustable valve, get one from Summitracing.com, you are looking for about $50 for it. And if you are gettinga TSM kit and want the rear p-brake calipers, go the the junkyard, I got my "cores" for $15 ea. than go to Autozone or soemthing like that and pay the $30 for the calipers each, and never mind about the $80 each for the core charges.

Someday I'll write up a bit of info about my disc conversion... Well I guess I need to get it in first...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Another 2 cents...
    Stainless Steel Brakes also sells disc conversions. Never heard a bad word about them, other than slightly high price (but for something like brakes, I'm willing to pay for quality, and I hope YOU are too). www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com
    The new Four Wheeler mag has a review of Warn's 10-bolt full-floater kit; discs are an option.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!