Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?Rear disc on 14ff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shralper, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Shralper

Shralper Registered Member

Ok I need some edumacation here on this rear disc conv. So how do the ff axles bolt to rotor assembly? Just like original drums? What about holding rotors on, original lock nuts?I've just picked up a 14b ff. It'll be a couple weeks before more $$ for brake parts. I haven't seen any of the rotor's folks have mentioned in previous posts so just wondering before I buy/install. Lookin at brackets for use w/ 82-84 10b 3/4t rotors. Thanks

2. lv2whl

lv2whl 1/2 ton status

TRY DOIN A SEARCH ON IT, YOULL FIND SOME GOOD INFO

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rotors ride on bearings on the spindle just like the front end.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The rotors are going to take the place of the drums. You drive the lug studs out and swap over. The studs hold them in place. The axle shaft bolts up to the original bearing hub. Simple deal. I'm using the rotors that came with my TSM kit, but the front rotorss will work. I'm also using calipers just like the ones on the front. Makes it easier to buy parts and was a helluva lot cheaper. The brackets will bolt on where the original backing plate was. This was about the easiest mod I've ever done. Nothing too it at all.

Kyle
    89K5

5. Shralper

Ok,cool. Now what if I dont have the original drums? Lugs, no problem. But what about bearing hub? Parts store or dealer or? Thanks again

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The parts house has got them, but they might be kind pricey, same with a dealer. Best bet would be another salvage. Do you have basically just a housing and shafts or ???

You'll want to use new studs when you put it all back together, they will run about $1.50 apeice, the bearings and seals on these things are cake to change, so pick them up, and don't forget, their is a little metal ring that goes between the axle flange and the hub, I didn't think it was a real big deal, it was, mine leaked [​IMG] I think the ring ran me about $3 for a fel-pro.

Kyle
    89K5

7. Shralper

Hey thanks!!I finally fingered it all out. My problem was I got the 14b but didnt take the drums when I bought it. Found some nearly new rr brake hubs $50 at junkyard. Got everything else so I'm set. Thanks again

8. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

i dont know if it helps any, but there are pics of my 14ff w/disks on my members ride page.....see link below

<font color=red>One</font color=red><font color=blue>Left</font color=blue>
    Have <font color=red>K5</font color=red>, will travel.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/OneLeft>See my ride</a>