Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear disc tech question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Jan 17, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

Nov 6, 2000
    i just put rear disk on my 1990 k5 last week the system is set up well but im not getting any stopping power from the rear. i thought i would have to put an inline proportioning valve on right away to keep the rear from locking, evidently this is the is not the case, in fact, i can't even get the rear to lock up on ice!!! so i guess i need to drill out the factory proportioning valve which restricts flow to the rear. i was told that it takes much more fluid to operate the calipers than it does a drum. i called high country 4x4 to try to get some onfo and one guy said "if you ever want that truck to stop again properly you need to toss those rear disc in the trash" does anybody have anymore information than that [censored]? i would appriciate input. thx
  2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Jun 22, 2000
    I put the tsm kit on my 90 k5. I have a 14 bolt ff. 90 k5s should have the rear anti-lock brakes, so I am not suprised that you could not get it to lock-up on ice. I had mine up on jack stands and was concerened about not being able to lock it up while free wheeling. But then I realized it has anti-lock and it is not going to lock up if it is working correctly. My pedal goes down more now than with the drums. I have not been able to drive it enough to really check the stopping power. I have bled the brakes four times. They do not feel spongy but I can tell it is using more pedal. I am going to call TSM tomorrow and ask about this. I will let you know when I find something out.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    You have to cycle the parking brake a few times to take the slack out of the Eldorado calipers. On mine, I had to remove the parking brake lever from the caliper and re-index it to get rid of the low pedal. Once I did that, it stopped fine.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>