Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Discs - Got it all but the cable for the Ebrake - Where???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Aug 17, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have all the parts for the Ebrake conversion except for the steel cable that attaches to the ebrake lever to actuate the Ebrake.

Anybody know where to get this part????

....Or a similar part that I can make work???

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not aware of an "exact fit" part, but if you are doing the El Dorado swap, I believe any of the '76-85 *cables* will work with the calipers, however length will be different.

FWIW, most '80's GM cars routed the e-brake cable like the El Dorado stuff, just with drums. If you can get the caliper "ends" for the cable from an ElDo, maybe you can rig up something using parts from other 80's GM's.

Been thinking about this too, the e-brake setup is gonna be kind of tough.

In approx. 1983, the truck e-brake setup changed, and something that style may be necessary to make the car stuff work on a truck...however, the e-brake cable bracket under the cab of the truck changed, and that will have to be worked around as well.

Pre '83 (approx again) the cable comes out of the cab (from the pedal) and hooks to a bracket at a 45* angle facing the rear tire, with the adjustment right there for the brakes. After that, I believe the cable goes straight back on the drivers side, like cars, and then the passenger cable goes into a brackeet, which the drivers side cable goes through as well. The bracket is "floating" (not attached) but that part is no problem, its getting the e-brake cable from the pedal to work. If yours is the '86 (as it appears from your name : ) then it should be already set up similar to a car. I have not personally inspected one of these setups, but the LMC catalog shows it.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Check the TSM catolog, there was an ad in there for a company that custom-made them

4. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a plan to make my existing Ebrake system work with the Cadi brakes. I just need the part that connects to the Ebrake lever on the calipers.

My plan, if you can call it that, is to take some heavy duty vinyl coated cable and connect it to the end section that will connect to the Ebrake lever. The other side will to to the equalizer braket. I'm gonna use a crimping tool - kinda like the kind used to crimp wire used for fishing for big game.

I may not be describing this well but it looks great in my head. I can make a diagram is anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info

Chris

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you get it to work relatively simply and with a minimum of parts, let us know. My dads going with the 14 bolt disk swap here in a bit, and I will be on my 10 bolts when I get around to it, so if something works, theres no reason to reinvent the wheel : )

Good luck!