Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR DISK BRAKE CONVERSION KITS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76k5Blazer, Jan 1, 2003.

1. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

nice find, but im not so sure on the prices.
    100 bones for a set of non e-brake calipers. thats like 100% mark up.
    i think i will stick with a-tron.
    Grant

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I sure hope that comes with a jar of vaseline and a reach around...

Rene

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Pricey, I bought blue prints and with limited access to a laser I think I can have the whole conversion done for around 50 bucks... Got to be resourceful and creative...

5. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

blue prints? were they actual prints or cad drawings? where'd ya pick em up at? Could they be cut slightly oversized on a plasma table then turned down to spec?

6. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at the engineering? These are not your typical 3/8" plates with spacers... still too expensive though /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

They sure are proud of their stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd be more inclined if that price were for a kit that used 1-ton discs and calipers /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's the kit I'm running. Sure, it was a little bit pricey (more now than when I bought it), but it's a NICE kit. At the time, it was the only one available. I got mine through ORD with the stainless lines.

No doubt their price is high, but I do feel comfortable with it and the guys there are the salt of the earth. They will talk hotrods ALL DAY LONG /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KP

10. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

i almost bought a tsm kit one time......they make a quality, complete kit.
    however their are too many other cheaper ways to go these days. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you look at stock trucks that have disc disc setups, you will notice the rear is always much smaller, because of the weight shift when you brake 80% of the stopping power is needed in the front, that is why even with 1/2ton front brake in the rear, you need to reduce the pressure of the fluid to the back to prevent lockup.
    You want the least weiht with the best performance, so the smaller you get the better.
    The drums can be as effective as the discs they are being replaced with, but the are boat anchors and mud tends to stick in them so that is why people switch to discs. Plus changing pads is much faster and easier then shoes.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

They are both a cad drawing and a full size template. It has gotten very hard to find anybody to turn those gargantuan drums if they every need it. All things considered I think it is actually cheaper to convert to discs than to try and fix the old drum set up.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm building a set for my 14FF....I have $55.00 in it so far...But I did build my own brackets.

[​IMG]

14. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Man that looks nice Tony. Everything so shiney and clean looking. Now ya just gotta get the rest of that 14 to look the same /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

wow im suprised so many people knock products cause they can get similar ones cheaper elsewhere. i've heard good things about tsm. how about all you fab guys go ahead and make a bracket for the 14bolt sf axle. then sell it to me for 55 dollars please. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

craig

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The product is nice...but the price isn't. That's pretty simple actually. I don't pay $11 for a quart of milk either, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the milk or container.

TSM makes a nice product that costs too much...and there are quite a few alternatives that do the exact same thing for much less money. A-tron (45acp), DERBINATOR, Misfit all sell the kit for $100 or less and the rest of the parts can be sourced at any parts store for less than half the cost of TSM's 'options'.

Rene

17. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I bought a kit from them 2 years ago and including shipping, complete kit of calipers, rotors, brackets and lines was $676. First quality parts, and easy to install with no problems ever. Just bought a rear disc brake kit from a noted Bronco supply house for my son's 68 F**D Bronco and paid almost $600 for it. Seems like market price if you want one stop shopping. Not everyone has the time nor are willing to put the correct parts together. From past experience, I have found it's sometimes easier to buy a proven kit then trying to "re-invent the wheeel". To each his own.

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Kumma, I can do it for 55 cause I work cheap, but tell you what, get me the dim. for your 14sf(hole to hole and size, axle tube dia. the bracket has to go over) and I'll cut you a set for $55.99....

19. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

well said. im simply trying to do what theyre doing but with less money involved.
    i have more disc brake brackets for sale if anyones interested. PM Me

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just checked out the echobit ones, there $55.00 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif