Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear disk brake wheel stud Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skyetone, May 3, 2002.

1. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

Rear disk brake wheel stud Q\'s

I had a kit on my 14bolt FF 3/4 ton when I got it. It was kinda mickied and the PO wanted it back. well the p/o welded the studs to the rotor. I now see why. The studs press into the hub but not the rotor. So what do I do now? I don't want to weld...

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear disk brake wheel stud Q\'s

Most of the 14FF's have the drums that are inboard of the hub and the studs press through both. I think some of the newer ones have a drum that slips over the studs (ie. the drum is outboard of the hub) so you don't need to pull the axleshatf and hub just to do the brakes. Either way I can't see why you would weld the rotor...

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Unless he had started with an outboard drum setup and tried to reuse the studs instade of getting the longer ones. I run outboard drums on my big rig and have 250k miles on the current wheel seals. If your running drums the outboard setup is great, but my eaton in the K5 has inboard drums. 8>(

4. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

I am converting to disks in the rear. It had inboard drums in the beginning. Seperated them out. Now the rotor is inboard (of cource) of the hub. I thought that when most did this swap the studs pressed into the rotor and the hub. Just like "stock". I guess now I need to look up people who have done this swap and see if they ran into this issue.
    The reason I don't want to weld the wheel studs to the back of the rotor is convienience down the road. I really don't want to have to torch out my wheel studs just to replace a broken one or something...

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Ok...so its the old style that everyone has...
    My lug studs pressed into both the rotor and hub. It is a very snug fit! My guess is either you have the wrond studs or rotors in there?
    Rotors: 3/4 ton chevy ('77)
    Studs: Stock 14FF rear studs (they are 9/16 thread)

6. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

damn i'm off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    78 3/4 ton front 4x4 rotors with new
    78 3/4 ton rear studs (just about 3/8" longer so I had to get 16 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    The studs press fine into the hub. I also had stock studs too.
    The studs FALL through the rotor.
    I got a 85? ford f250 front rotor cuz on potent rodent they had to "enlarge" the holes.
    Same saga... the stud fell through the rotor
    Well yesterday I seen that my air gun trying to pull the studs to set them stopped about 1/4-1/8 " short of snug. I had two in so I hand CRANKED the studs into the hub with the rotor attatched. Well when it was ABSOLUTELY SNUG AND TIGHT then it all fit fine. I had to do that with all the studs. I put the hub/rotor into a bench vice and hand cranked the hell out of the studs untill they were tight. All seems fine now. Ready to throw it back under the beast last today. I appreciate that you and or this board will go through and answer all these stupid Q's for me.
    BTW the rotors were from autozone...Not that it should REALLY make any difference...

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

are you guys making your own caliper brackets or buying them from someone?