Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear disk brakes for you 10-bolt from the GM dealer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, May 31, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't know if anyone else has been noticing this, but the brand new GM trucks with rear 10-bolts all seem to have rear disk brakes. These have the standard GM 6-lug pattern. Has anyone checked to see if these rotors, brackets and calipers can be put onto the ends of an older 10-bolt axle? They must have some provision for a parking brake, too. So what we need to know is:
    -Does the new 10-bolt have the same 4-bolt pattern that holds the brake on?
    -Does the backing plate/bracket provide the right spacing on an old 10-bolt?
    -How does the parking brake connect?
    -How much would all of the parts cost?

Myself, I am planning a disk brake upgrade for a S/F 14B, so I won't worry about this, but I thought that it was an idea that some of you would be interested in.

Shoot, for all I know, these brakes would fit on a 12 Bolt...

<font color=green>Why does everyone worry about my gas mileage, but not think twice about an Excursion owner?</font color=green>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Interesting thought. I've got to run to the Chevrolet dealer later, and I'll throttle the parts guy for information.

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Funny you should mention this... I saw a new-style Chevy pickup on a flatbed the other day with the frontend smashed real bad. These trucks should start turning up in the junkyards soon.

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

According to the parts idiot, it should work, but we'd have to change the brake lines to metric, and adapt the parking brake cables from a Silverado. Other than that, he says it should be a bolt on affair. (Needless to say, it probably won't be)

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Not sure if it would work, but I do know that my buddy has a 2001 Z71 and we tried to fit my 15" aluminum rims on it. They will not clear the calipers, you would have to use a 16" or 16.5" rim. Cool Idea though

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That was a 6-lug setup then?

I actually looked for some of these parts and came up with about $100 each for the calipers and around $50 each for the rotors. $100 is actually less than a Caddy caliper unless you have some old ones for cores.

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>