Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear disk brakes, using all stock front end parts? 14FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jan 10, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I know it can be done, but what problems will I run into. I have seen it before and cant remember what the guy told me I had to modify?

I have a complete front brake system that has been laying around for about 2 years to go on. But, I havnt done it yet. And with going to the 44s, I think it may be time.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Re: rear disk brakes, using all stock front end parts?

I went with the Warn 12-bolt disc brackets ($100) and used the instructions provided. You can use either the S-10 front calipers (non E-brake) or the Caddy rear disc set up (with E-brake). Rotors are 88-91 Chevy full size 4x4 type (6 lug). Hoses I used came from a 86-92 Monte Carlo front. I welded a 5/8" grade 8 washer to the back side of the spring perch and used an E-clip to hold the hose in place. The other end bolts to the caliper. Bleeding the brakes required them to be unbolted and rotated so the bleeder screw would be at the top. Resetting the pressure differential valve (aka proportioning valve) between bleeds. Good luck. You'll notice a big difference in stopping.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Re: rear disk brakes, using all stock front end parts?

I will be doing this to a 14FF though.
    Same idea though.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You can but you need to use a spacer between the axle flange and the backing plate to center the caliper over the rotor.

5. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

You will need to modify the bolt pattern in the backing plates to match the bolt pattern on the 14 bolt and I believe you'll need a spacer in between the rearend and the backing plate to get the caliper centered over the rotor.

6. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

The big thing is getting the brackets. As for parts, go get standard 3/4 ton FRONT disc brakes, (calipers, pads, rotors) and mount them to your 14FF hubs. (you know the drill, drive out the studs and then mount the caliper and press the studs back in)

Once that is done, now either use the front axle backing plate and redrill it for the 4 bolt pattern on the 14FF, OR, buy a bracket which does basically the same thing, OR build your own bracket. All of the home made type brackets that I have seen do need a spacer to push the backing plate away from the 14FF flange to center the caliper on the rotor.

I made my own brackets when I did my conversion.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Go to the For Sale forum and buy Misfits brackets. I bought and pair and they come with spacers. Some heavy duty stuff. Do a search on here, some one listed all the parts needed to do the conversion. I printed out the list but, I don't have it here with me at work. But, it did involve all stock parts or parts you could get at a parts store.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>