Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Disk brakes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txgp17, Oct 17, 2001.

1. txgp17

txgp17 Newbie

Hi guys,
    New to the forum, just bought my 1972 K-5 Blazer, CST package, 350 engine, 350 auto. I'm not at all new to GM 4x4's, I know the 73-87's in and out, and I own a 99' too. But this is my first 69-72 model. I know one of the first mods I would like to get is a rear disk brake conversion kit. Any suggestions?

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

hey guys we got another one. congragulations and welcome aboard to the most addicting site :-) sounds like a sweet ride. some suggestions fill out your profile become a member and post some pics. you wont regret it. Steve Chin has a write up on rear disk brake conversion.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TSM seems to be the most common kit to do this....ORU makes one also but for some reason it's WAY more expensive than TSMs. I don't have the URLs for these, but you can easily find both in any 4WD mag, or someone here may throw the link at you!! [​IMG]

I know a lot of guys have done "homebuilt" disc brake conversions too with Eldorado calipers, and some other off the shelf parts. Check the archives, and I'm sure you find more than you ever wanted to know. This topic has been discussed many times...

Welcome to the group!

-Greg72

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a TSM kit on my 14 bolt full float. PM me if you have any questions

5. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I used the kit from TSM as well, It is fairly inexpensive and easy to install. Look in the back of a 4x4 mag for their number.
    Someone mentioned Steve Chin's write up as well, it is very helpful. Good luck.
    Jeff

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My write-up centers on a TSM kit, but it would be similar for the Warn kit. I haven't seen the ORU kit. The thing I don't like about both the Warn and TSM kits is that they are both designed to work with GM mid-size front calipers and the '79-'85 Eldorado rear calipers just so happen to fit into the brackets, but they're tipped over so that it's impossible to properly bleed them when they're mounted to the brackets. I'm going to home-brew some brackets for my Blazer at some point in time and correct that.