Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear disk brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandracer0004, Jan 23, 2004.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

k i just got the disk brake kit off ebay and im starting to assemble parts i need to put it in my truck.

do you need to get an adjust proportion valve to the rear?

any exp guys?
    can you just bolt in bleed and go?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do you need to get an adjust proportion valve to the rear?

[/ QUOTE ]
    50/50 chance, some people have had to, some people haven't needed too...just put all your stuff on and drive it around, you'll be able to tell if your stock prop valve will need to be changed.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You can run it without the adj. prop. valve. I have been driving my truck without it since last summer. The only problem is that the rear wheels lock up real easy if you push too hard on the brake pedal.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

any exp guys?
    can you just bolt in bleed and go?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is all I did. But others have not had the luck that I did. Here is a lengthy thread that discussed the disk swap problems. I hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

thanks guys

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The only problem I ran into was installing my buddies disc brakes. We have almost identical blazers but his brakes WOULD NOT BLEED correctly. After an hour of furious brake pedal pumping, we compared mine to his. It turned out my bleeder screws faced up, his faced down. My caliper resovoirs were able to fill with brake fluid, on his the fluid went straight from the brake hose right out of the bleeder screw, thus never filling the caliper. We flipped sides and it tooks 2 minutes to bleed his brakes. So remember to reference the calipers so the bleeder screw faces upwards. Good Luck

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

some do need a adjustable proportion valve..some dont, I am fine with out it, I had the same problem as Jim, calipers wee on the wrong side /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I was going nuts for hours /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I can lock them up good and it doesn't spin around on me, I say put it together and go to a safe place and lock em up and see ho it reacts
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif