Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Disk break question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AnthonyG, May 14, 2003.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I know there was a post asking this same question A while back bus i couldn't find it in the search.
    I just got my disk breaks on the rear tonight and bled them all realy good. Now when i drive it, The pedel goes realy far down and the breaks realy suck. My question is Do i just have to gut the porprotioning valve to make the rears work better or what. I was under the impression that the reason for gutting the valve was because the rears were locking up but I don't even have enough stopping power in the back to stop the wheels with the back end off the ground. I know that this has been ansered a million times but if you could anser it one more time or gimmy a link to the answer I would be happy

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Your asking the very same question i did about a month ago. I had the same problem. I used a master cyclinder off a 78 vette with four wheel disc. Hugh differnce. Bolted on with no adapters for lines. Did however cost 80 bucks for a new one. I think you can get a rebuilt for like 30. Try that then get them powerbled. Im much more impressed now. If you have any more questions PM me.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How did the '78 one bolt up with no mods? The 4 wheel disc 'vette masters I've seen (like '68) use the same size fitting front and rear, all disk/drum masters I've seen (truck or car) all use smaller rear fittings/lines, since the drilled orifice in the master cylinder for front/rear brakes are different sizes.

If the '78 vette uses the same size fittings as the trucks, that would be an awesome swap.

4. white-rhyno

Im almost positive it was a 78. Ill get a PN number from napa for you later today. I have a bad habit of not keeping recipts. Would it matter that im working with a 76 k5?? Maby thats why i didnt need any fittings? Or maby i just got lucky.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I checked on my dads '74, same deal.

It could be that the Corvette master later on had different sizes lines like the trucks, I was looking at one 10 years older.

Took a cursory glance at all the GM cars in the 'yard I looked at, all the master cylinders for disk/drum cars had different size fittings.

6. white-rhyno

Napa PN# for the MC #39052. Hope that helps