Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear disk calipers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm putting on TSM rear disks soon and the catolog says I need 76-79 Eldorado calipers to retain the p-brake (I need the cable p-brake to pass inspection, not a line loc). The only problem is, I haven't found any used ones yet and the parts store told me $380 [​IMG] [​IMG] for a pair. This would cost more than the brackets and rotors. Where can I get calipers for a decent price?

I e-mailed TSM and asked about the NP205 p-brake and they said it didn't hold well so they discontinued it. Has anyone had this setup? Is it true that it doesn't hold?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Well don't go there! Even though I found some cores at a salvage yard, here's what I did:

Find a parts place that offers the cheapest price if you had the cores.

Then find a place that offers the cheapest core charge. (I did find one that only charged $10 each)

The place that offers the cheapest core charge should do a price match of the other. Go there and get them. Make sense.

I got my cheapest price here:
    http://www.partsamerica.com

I then went to Checkers (CSK) which was closer to my home which priced matched Parts America and I later found they didn't charge hardly anything for the cores. I think I paid $40 each for the 76-78 Eldo calipers. You might try carparts.com and see what they charge. I did see a $50 off coupon in a new mag the other day.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

4. Shawn

Try these-
    They should only want 40.99 each plus a $10 core charge.

ADVANCE AUTO PARTS
    2103 NOTTINGHAM WAY
    HAMILTON, NJ08619
    Phone: 609-584-0711

ADVANCE AUTO PARTS
    1554 N OLDEN AVE
    TRENTON, NJ08638
    Phone: 609-392-2806

ADVANCE AUTO PARTS
    555 HIGH ST
    MOUNT HOLLY, NJ08060
    Phone: 609-261-5631

BTW- Parts America changed to Advance Autoparts

Checker/Kragan Auto wanted $65.99 each, $10 core

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I found the calipers, but couldn't find the parking brake bracket that bolted to the caliper. Did your caddy calipers come with the bracket for the e-brake?

BIGJ

6. Shawn

Sorry, I forgot about that. No, the new calipers did not come with the p-brake arm or spring. I used the ones off the cores. The newer Eldo calipers for the Semi Float kit have the brackets that you're thinking about. Mine just have the long arms and a long spring that bends in a half circle. I'm not sure if you can get those arms at a dealer or not. The springs should be easy to find since there's nothing special about them. Look at these pictures to get an idea of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/

Corey Perez had some pictures somewhere but I'm not sure where they are. He has a SF 14 so his looks different and come with that p-brake bracket.

The FF P-brake bracket would be easy to make and I think that brake cable company that TSM uses already has something made. This could mount off one of the u-bolts. Hope this makes sense...

Here's a pic of the 76-78 caliper:
    [​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I've been to every salvage yard within 40 miles, and not one place has an elderado that old (76-78). I called TSM last week and they said "good luck, I hope you find some at a salvage yard, that's what we do for our kits." Thanks for the pics Shawn, I guess I'll just keep on lookin'.

BIGJ

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>So if I get the calipers from Advance Auto Parts (all those adresses are not far from here), what esle do I need? I don't think i'm going to bother with cores if they're only $10 each. Thanks!</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Chris,

Check your TSM catalog. There is a number for a company that specializes in custom brake cables. They are only $20 plus $.20 per inch. Mine are about 3 feet long and that calculates to about $27.20 per cable. The number is (562) 802-1122. Give them a call. They are going to do my cables for me.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

10. Mudzer

Correction, the cores are over $80 each. SO you would be better off buying the calipers from TSM. You should find the cores at a salvage yard, then use them as cores. The calipers are only $35 each around here. But the core charge will kill you. Of course, I am talking about the Eldorado Calipers. The standard non e-brake calipers are probably around $10 core.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5

11. Mudzer

Hey guys, this is why buying the junkyard ones are the way to go. If you buy the ones from a parts store, you will not get the brackets. Shawn, look at your pic of the caliper. There is a threaded hole near the end of the e-brake lever. This is the hole for the bracket. You did not get the brackets because you bought them new. I can get the brackets and springs you need if you want me to. Also check this URL. They can fix you up cheap.
    http://www.car-part.com/

Mudzer 1978/91 K5

12. Shawn

Mudzer-
    Are you talking about the same cores? Your 12 bolt takes a different setup I think (maybe the newer Eldo calipers). If you call Advance Auto Parts and and ask about the 76-78, you will find the cores are only $10 each but like I said, you're missing the arm and spring so the salvage yard option would be good IF you can find them. It wouldn't be hard to fabricate your own arm. There is no threaded hole for any bracket. This is how I found them on the 77 Eldo that was complete at the time.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

13. Mudzer

Shawn,

I will check on the calipers here locally. You are probably right about the others being cheaper. I hope so!!! You are correct on the smaller calipers being for my 12 bolt. The 76-78 caliper is bigger. I will let you know the price. So, yours didnt have the bolt hole? I thought the picture had the hole but I am wrong. I will try to find you the brackets if you need them. Thanks for the info!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5

14. Shawn

No bolt hole. I acutally wanted to use the newer eldo bracket but didn't want to drill any holes in the caliper. The only hole on the 76-78 calipers is for the return spring. BTW the picture above doesn't show the spring installed. It would be easy to fab up a bracket for new p-brake cables so I wasn't too worried about it. I called Advance Auto here in Denver to verify, and thats the price they told me on the phone so I assume its nationwide. I still don't have an e-brake but plan on doing it soon.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I got my Caddy Eldo rear calipers at Ecology Pick-a-Part in Santa fe Springs, CA, on their 1/2 price day for $15 a pair. I'm using them as-is cause they look good and don't leak!!

ken