Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Disk conversion 14Bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Apr 11, 2005.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I got a question about the rotors used, from all the sources i could find it says to use 77 3/4 ton rotors. Does this mean 77+ or just that year of the rotors? Also is their anywhere on the net that describes to you how to make the brackets your self, or does someone want to post up a detailed drawing.

Thanks

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I just used 3/4 ton rotors that I bought from autozone and bought the brackets form http://www.diy4x.com/ good products.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you can use ANY 3/4ton rotor from 1973-1991. When I did mine a couple yrs ago, I used 1974 3/4ton rotors cause that is what yr my front and rear axles are, just made it easier.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

88-91 3/4 ton trucks were IFS, aren't they different though?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Trucks were IFS, but Burbs weren't

6. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

i did one side of mine last night and I used rotors from...hold on to your seat...a '91 F250 diesel. I did a straight axle conversion last weekend (took the IFS dana 50 out and put a high pinion dana 60 in for a buddy) and had his old parts sitting there and used the rotors, and everything went together fine. The front of the rotor which butts up to the hub is a little deeper than the Chevy rotors so it puts the caliper back towards the pumpkin to give more wheel clearance...I can take pics if anyone needs them. good luck with the swap, its not bad.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, call Kert over at DIY4x.. His brackets are very nice and come with the hardware and spacers you need to bolt them up!!!

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Will those or any other brackets work on a 60

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You would have to check with Kert on that one. :dunno:

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I called diy for some disc brackets about 8 months to 1yr ago, they said it would about 5 weeks before i could expect to see them! so i went with azkickin b4 they closed up shop. i got brackets and brake lines, the brackets did not line up with my callipers at all. span was 7.045 from center to center on the calipers and brackets were 7.007. i called azkickin they sais they should be 7.015. so theres were short to begin with. i said can i get a new set, they said new ones will be the same as what i allready have cause there jig drilled. so im stuck with bad brackets or bad calipers. i checked another set of calipers at the parts store, they were the same as what i have. i know my calpers are the right year. its to late to return them cause i had them for a while. so i made my own brackets. my buddy had 3/8 cold roll plate laying around, he let me have enough to do three sets of brackets. i didnt do the spacers setup. i machined aluminum rings to space rotor off the hub the equal distance so the bracket can bolt to axle flange with no spacers. the studs press thru ring into hub, and rotor bolts to aluminum ring and is backed up by a crimp lock nut between eace hub recess. now i dont have to pound studs out to change rotor just unbolt it. i used 8 5/8-18 g8 bolts.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

kert sent me mine in 2 weeks from when i put the money order in the mailbox.
    i did have to grind a very little on the large inner hole... the cut looked angled and the inside wasnt quite clearanced

13. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I got mine exactly in one week when I placed the order.

14. rdn2blazer

Im not raging on ya DIY just stating fact, glad to hear things are better on the lead time over there.

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Nope, never took it that way. It's all good. It use to take along time to get anything done but since our move things are much faster. Just as an example I had some custom requests lately and they were out in under a week. That is from concept to shipping in less than one week. Granted these weren't very complicated requests but custom nonetheless. This is by far my favorite type of work.

16. 4whlflop

4whlflop Newbie

I got mine from diy in two weeks. Great product and came with the hardware :thumb: . I also like the full ring spacers instead of the tube spacers.

17. rdn2blazer

I will post pics of my rings in this post latter today, when my bud comes to work he can help me post pics. im still green at this downloading pics stuff. diy, thank you, im happy you wernt offended, i would recomend your stuff with no problem as i know people here are very pleased with your products. thats why your brackets were my first choice at that time. :)

18. rdn2blazer

19. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Why did you have to buy brackets if you can build those rings? :confused:

20. rdn2blazer

you still need caliper brackets, you just dont need the 3/4 in long spacers to space you brackets off the flange. Caliper bracket bolts to the axle flange. Ring goes between hub and rotor.