Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR DOUBLE SHACKLE IDEA?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLUESMAN, Dec 18, 2001.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Has anyone thought of or done a double shackle on the rear?I was thinking of this this morning and I don't see any reason not to try it.I know I will not achieve any lift from it, but the it would provide more travel in the springs.I just took two of the stock shackles and looked at them and it looks very feasible.The ride height should be the same since the two shackles will fold together and straighten out when fully flexed.Comments???

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Or how about using a Bell Tech lowering shackle with the flip?

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

3. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I thought about it. And I talked to Steve At ORD and he wrote me back and explained that to find the correct pionion angle and have tracktion bars set up and all that good jaz. would not be worht it. He suggested to go with longer then stock springs and have a heep style shackel. Infact that is what Steve at ORD did.

Just my two cents... Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    &lt;a target=&amp;quot;_blank&amp;quot; href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5&gt;My Picts&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DuneRunner on 12/18/01 02:08 PM.</FONT></P>

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Yeah I looked at "Desert Steel" longer shackles, but I don't want the lift.My thinking was that it would be a far cheaper version of the "revolver" type shackle.I'm already going to install the 56" long springs, just looking for the max. travel that I can get.Oh I'm also installing the frt. spring mount for the "shackle flip".I thought I saw someone did something similiar to this in the member's rides.

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I have revolvers on my rig and they work fine, but that is after modifiying them to not open when on road by use of a disconnect system for when off road. I think there is a guy on this sight that has a better setup. Marv Springer, and I think he could make and sell one. I believe FrizzleFry is also using Marv's setup.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The Gen: I have a set of revolvers that I am gonne install when I do my shack flip. What exactly did you rig up to keep them from opening on-road? Have any pics? I wanna stay safe on-road. ;) Thanks in advance!

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

7. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I have wheeled with FRIZZ once before he had the Marv Springer set up. Check out his members pics...Talk about flexx

Blues Let us know how things turn out...

Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are going for max flex go for the 63" rear springs. even Taco's are running them with extensive mods.

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

I don't think that I would have the frame for 63's, besides I already have the 56's.The mounts for the rear hangers are at the very front of the rear bumber brackets.Hopefully by next week(???), I'll have it all installed.Now to order another set of urethane bushings!!!Does this ever end??I still have to install the 3/4 diffs!!!

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

check with Marv...he's gota cool setup. marv_springer@hotmail.com

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

11. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Are you thinking of something like the Hypershackles available for Toyota Land Cruisers? Super beefy 1/2 inch plate double shackles, that weigh about 15 pounds each?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jtoutfitters.com/parts/accessories/suspension/hypershackle/index.html>http://www.jtoutfitters.com/parts/accessories/suspension/hypershackle/index.html</a>

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What about a shackle at both end's of the spring! This would of course require a 3 or 4 link setup to keep everything in place and you would have to deal with the pinon angle. I saw this setup on a Samari once and it gave a lot of flex.
    Corey 78K5

13. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

My thinking was far simpler than what you guys have come up with.I was just thinking of bolting two stock rear shackles end to end.I actually did this to the 56" springs that are going to be installed soon, but I only have the bushings(urethanes) for a single shackle at this time.So later I will try it and see if I can pull my driveshaft out of the T case!!!I'm sure I'll need to get a longer driveshaft to go with the flexier 56" springs and double shackle idea.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If your talking about making a hinged shackle out of 2 shackles, you are going to need a sort of bump stop between them to keep the spring eye from hitting the frame side shackle eye. It would look like a "V" rotated 90 degrees, the spring eye on one "leg" and the frame eye on the other "leg", with a hinge joint/bushing at the vertex. Is this what you are talking about? If so, how do you propose to keep the 2 eyes at the minimal separation? Also, with the added length due to two shackles, I don't know if they are strong enough to stand the leverage.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

15. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

It was something that shot into my head and I still might try it.I do see what you mean and I had the same thought.The shackles would rest on each other eyelet to eyelet, but a urethane bumpstop would cure that problem.I used to run 18" "goofy leafs" under my Toyota,thereby giving me an additional 6" of flex.But now I've come back to the big boys and having more fun!