Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear drive line brake?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FOR MUD, Apr 26, 2006.

1. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was thinking of using a rear drive line brake on my truck , and was wondering if anyone knows what to use [ rotor , caliper ] ? I see High Angle has a E-brake kit , don't know if strong enough . The truck is not run on the road . 205 transfer case . 44" boggers , dual CV drive shaft

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as a service brake or e-brake?

My worry wouldn't even be road safety but even offroad safety. Brake a u-joint or bend a driveshaft and you no longer have rear brakes. Not to mention you'd have to use a prop valve and take a lot of power away from the caliper. Otherwise your rears would lock up way before the fronts(way more mechanical advantage than the fronts). Also thats a lot of force on the case of a 205. No expert on how thick they are though. E-brakes get away with it before they are just dealing with holding the vehicle where it is, not stopping it in an emergency(at least thats all I think those kits are really intended for).

though on the pro side, If you are running deep mud it will keep the brake out of the mud some more.

3. FOR MUD

I was planing on running a adj prop valve and truning the rear down low . The main reason I was going to do this was Iwas going to change the off set of my rims in some more and will run out room for the calipers [ 15'' beadlocks]

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what I've heard from reading on pirate with guys that have pinion brakes, the play in the setup causes noise. Now add a driveshaft to that, its probably gonna be noisy. But most guys mud trucks aren't the tightest/"nicest" things so I doubt you care about that.

5. FOR MUD

I get worryed if I don't hear any noises . Some of the best things are nice and tight !!!

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha, I know what you mean on both counts. When my trucks are nice and quiet I wonder what fell off...