Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Driveline Angle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arnold88, Oct 9, 2000.

1. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

I have an 88 K5 that I just put a 4" Superlift on. I bought the kit with the rear blocks till I can afford the rear springs. My question is, my rear driveshaft is at quite an angle now. I didn't receive any shims or any way to correct the angle of the rear axle. What would be best to do until I get the new springs? Can I lower my transfer case by installing spacers? Or should I buy shims for the rear axle? Any other suggestions? Any input would be appreciated.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

All you should have to do is lower the tcase by flipping the factory spacers (look like tubes) under the frame between the frame and tcase crossmember.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Your blocks should already have the shim angle "built" into it. Did you notice this when you installed them???

If not, the top of the block will have an angled surface. When looking at the side of the block, the smaller part should go forward and the thicker parts should go towards the rear.

HTH, if you have anymore questions drop me a line

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. arnold88

I installed the blocks the correct way, but I still have the bad angle on my u-joints. I saw the spacers on the bottom side of the tcase skid plate. I will install them between the frame and the plate tonight. Thanks guys. One has to really appreciate a site like this.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

What are you defining as a "bad angle"? With a 4" lift, the driveshaft should not be in line with the rear axle pinion. If you make it straight, you will have to put a CV joint at the front of the driveshaft or else get ready to shake and spit out U-joints like sunflower seeds. Like coloradoK5 said, with a name brand lift kit, the angle of the lift blocks should be close enough that no more adjustment should be needed than to maybe lower the T-case a bit. What you want to achieve is for the T-case output shaft to be parallel to the axle pinion. That way both U-joints are at the same angle, but in a lifted truck, you are never going to run the joints at zero angle, which may be what you are expecting.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

6. arnold88

Thanks for the input. This is the first 4X4 I've ever owned. I'm used to old truck restorations. It makes sense about the angles being parallel.

[​IMG]