Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear driveshaft doesn't fit after drive train swap...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 27, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

rear driveshaft doesn\'t fit after drive train swap...

laketex and I have yanked the drivetrain out of his 79, and dropped it into a 86. Now for some strange reason, the rear drive shaft won't fit back into place! The drive shaft is too long... its bolted to the xfer case (slip towards the xfer) but when its collapsed all the way, its just too long to seat the u-joint in the yoke of the 14b!??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif We moved axles and all over to this 86 chassis and body, so why wouldn't it fit? Just doesn't make any sense to me. Suggestions? Could the frame be different?

I'm also looking for some help figuring out why a set of 86 350 exhaust manifolds won't bolt up to his 79 350 heads. The bolt closest to the firewall on the passenger side manifold doesn't have a hole to screw into??? There is one right next to it... but its obviously too far away to make it. All the other bolts worked, and the drivers side took all the bolts no problem. Whats my problem?

Thanks all! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: rear driveshaft doesn\'t fit after drive train swap...

A lot of the later model cylinder heads have an extra bolt hole for the exhaust manifold in that end.

[​IMG]

I didn't think any of the truck manifolds ever used this hole, but apparantly yours do. This mounting hole was normally used on manifolds that have the exits at the back to allow more room for the down tube to get by the bolt.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Might just have to go to the salvage yard after a different exhaust manifold, or buy some headers.

4. KRAZIE87K5

BINGO! Those two holes are what I am talking about. The passenger side is the side that has the exit at the rear of the maniold as well... This is the hole that I need that isn't there:

[​IMG]

What can I do? Is it safe to /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif drill and tap a new hole there? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Or will I have to find new / different exhaust manifolds?

-Dan

5. KRAZIE87K5

HEADERS???? No way... I'll just yank the manifolds off the other truck... but I wanted to use these... ahh well.

That is unless I drill and tap this head out... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont know why you couldnt drill a new hole. Just use the manifold as a template.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i told ya already...we're just gonna leave that bolt out! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif