Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear driveshaft idea/question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

In my 82 Jimmy I have a NP208 with the slip yoke. On the old 203's they had a fixed yoke with a slip joint on the shaft. WOuld it be possible to run one of these slip joints in conjunction with my slip yoke, or is it just a stupid idea?

the reason I ask is because I have an old style slip joint rear shaft that I can get cut down, but would I benefit any from the slip joint(if the you joint sizes are the same) and would it cause any problems?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Think about it ! Most of the rear shafts that I have seen have the slip part of the rear shaft up near the Tcase,
    if you put it there what will keep the slip yoke from the NP208 centered ? If you put it in the rear of the shaft
    down by the rear end, what will keep it from collapsing.
    It may work, be the legths of each peiece neeed to be exact.
    If your looking for a rear drive shaft to accept alot or rear drewp, then get one with long splines(12-24")
    Hope this helps

3. Emmettology 101

Thanks for the input.

It was just an idea. Now that you point it out the slip yoke would not "wrok" the same since the slip joint on the shaft would be sliding too.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Now if someone would come out with a reasonable priced SYE kit for the GM NP208C.
    I would be Happy.

5. Emmettology 101

Me too! :) Someone posted that Doge has a fixed yoke 208 on them, but I am not familiar with Dodge.

Mike [​IMG]

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So maybe we could get a Dodge 208 and just swap the input shaft and then just come up with the right slip-joint driveshaft. But for all that work, you could have a 205, too.

Or, maybe the ouput shaft and back part of the case could be obtained from a Dodge dealer. I suppose it's possible that a junk yard would let you take T-case parts, but I've never found such a yard.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If I understand correctly what you are asking, you want to run two separate slip yokes on the same shaft, correct? In order to make this work, the slip joint built into the shaft would have to be fully collasped while you are driving to keep the shaft from sliding out of the transfer case. In any case, I don't see any benefit to running dual slip yokes and this would probably cause more problems than anything else.
    If you definitely wanted a fixed yoke t-case and still wanted the 2.72 low range, you could get a NP241 out of an '89-'91 Blazer or Sub and install the kit make by one of the several companies you offer fixed yoke kits......those I'm sure this isn't exactly a cheap thing to do.