Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear driveshaft in, but still shaking at 25 mph...not a good day...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoAngel, May 5, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

So yesterday I put the rear driveshaft in(with new u-joints) and go to start her up to take a test drive. Problem #1) As soon as I start it I get this high pitched squeal. I open the hood and see that one of the pulley is shaking like crazy and the power steering belt seems that it's in need of tightening. So I realize it needs tightening. I looked in my Hanes book and it doesn't go into great detail. As far as I can tell, it looks like a pain to do.(correct assumption) I think I can handle the job, but does anyone have any advice to make it easier?
    Problem #2) I took it for a drive and as soon as I hit 25 mph, the she starts with the shaking again. WT? Does that mean it could be the front u-joints now? Any other things to check?
    Thanks.

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hi! I sure wish you were closer. We could work on our Blazers together /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Does that thing not have one big serpentine belt? Mine does and it is self-tightening as far as I know. When you did the u-joint, did you put the retaining clips on it once it was in? The first time I did one, I didn't know about those clips and left them off. I made it across town and *almost* back again. Broke that u-joint and bent the yoke on the driveshaft /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. So just make sure those clips are on good. I read something about taking like a permanent marker and marking on the cap of the u-joint, a line that also goes onto the yoke, so you can see if the joint is moving out of position. Seems like a good idea. And good for you working on your truck, way to go!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It does get easier!

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Yes, the clips are on and on good. Boy, I'm glad it wasn't me that had to learn that lesson the hard way! It is so frustrating being new to this and exciting at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

No, not one big belt. 3 belts.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The P/S belt is real easy to tighten, you're looking for one bolt that is in a slot cut into one of the P/S brackets. Loosen that bolt then use a piece of pipe or something similar to pry the P/S pump over, making the belt tighter. Tighten the bolt in the slot down to hold the pump in that position and you're good to go. A slot might be the wrong word...

Ummm, let's see here. The bolt will screw into a bracket that is solidly bolted to the engine, and the bracket on the p/s pump will have a long curved oval shaped hole that allows the pump and bracket to pivot on another bolt, the bolt that is screwed into the bracket mounted to the engine goes through this oval hole. When the bolt is loosened it allows you to pivot the whole P/S pump assembly, the distance between the crank pulley and the p/s pulley gets longer when it pivots so the belt gets tighter. Tighten the bolt back down once the belt is tight enough and you're done.

Dang, that's confusing... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif</font>

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I'll tell you what, I think after the help you gave me with the u-joints/driveshaft, you are making sense to me. I think I am finally fluent in "Shaggyese". I'll take a look at it this afternoon and see if I got it or need more /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Now what about the shaken not stirred problem?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Michelle,

When did the shakes start? What work was done just before it all started? It sounds like it could be a tire out of balance to me...

A bad driveshaft or U-joint usually vibrates, and usually at a higher speed than 25 mph.

Maybe bad ball joints or other steering parts...how is the steering?

Rene

8. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

steering seems ok.
    Work that has been done...
    head gasket
    shocks
    rear u-joints

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Hey NoAngel, when are you converting to a serpentine belt??? Big improvement... no adjustments ever again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Make sure that the U-joints are in proper phase with each other.If they aren't it can cause some vibes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif