Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Driveshaft Question....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I just replaced the 1350 ujoints in my standard 2 joint rear shaft. Reason being I adjusted my pinion angle by 5 degrees and wanted to start out with a fresh set of ujoints.

Anyways, I took apart the spline section to clean it and the problem is that I forgot to mark it before doing so. Now my question is when I put it back together, for balancing issues, do I need to make sure that both ends are on the same axis as far as the joint is concerned, or do they need to be 90* off from eachother to help cancel themeslves out?

Does this make sense?

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I doubt it, but for good measure, just jack up your rear and rotate the yoke with your hand so you have them lined up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Waxer

I dont mean the yokes on the drive train. I mean the yokes on the driveshaft itself. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know someone will know the correct response for sure, but all I know is, this is called "phasing", which is what people often mistakenly call putting the driveshaft back into the tranny/axle the same way it came out.

My thinking is that they need to be in exactly the same position at either end though.

5. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

They need to be the same at each end in other words the yokes should line up and not be 90 degrees out.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yup, what they said. You want them on the same plane. The u-joint vibrations cancel each other because they are at (hopefully equal, but) opposite angles.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Just one other thing to add besides lining up the yokes, the balance. If your shaft was balanced before, and you care about that kind of thing, it may be 180 out when you put it back together. If you have vibes that weren't there before, take it back apart and rotate one end 180 and put it back together.....

8. Waxer

Interesting point. I'll have to try that cause after installing the new joints and aligning the yokes on the driveshaft, I feel this consistent vibration it seems now. I will rotate one yoke 180* and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies guys.

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well i would be rigt if the question wasn't wrong, or was it the other way around /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    I adjusted my pinion angle by 5 degrees

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    I feel this consistent vibration it seems now. I will rotate one yoke 180* and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind the vibration could be from the angle change also.

11. Waxer

I thought that might get confused. But I changed the pinion angle by 5 degree's and ran the same joints. No vibration at all. It got rid of my vibrations. Then a couple weeks later (when I had the $$), I purchased new joints and installed them. Thats when I took apart the driveshaft and it seems like it introduced a consistent rapid vibration. Not as pulsating and abrupt as before the pinion change.

Hope that clears that up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Gotcha /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hate to give a fellow CK5r bad info /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive noticed that in the big chiltons truck book they call for yokes not lines up on the big trucks, apparently its different phasing from light duty to heavy duty drivelines, i think in the chiltons they show about 6 splines turned awayoneway orthe other(forgot which,probablyclockwise) on the last yoke from the rest of them