Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear driveshaft- Update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Mar 4, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I have a 14bolt and 203 combination with the stock driveshaft. How should the ends of each driveshaft line up
    to each other? I am just talking about the driveshaft and balance. Hopefully you understand this jibberish /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

****UPDATE---Well what i thought was the tsl's rumbling down the road was actually my driveshaft out of phase. I fixed and now SMOOOOOOTH as can be. So nice and thanks to those who answered, easy fix but so good to be able to change radio without missing buttons because of vibes /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif and oh by the way...the tsls ride great!!!!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Rear driveshaft question, simple one

With stock shafts (non CV) they need to be parallel to each other, transfercase and pinion yoke both straight. With a CV shaft you aim the rear pinion at the transfercase. Most driveshaft places online show pics.Try www.4xshaft.com and click on tech info at top of page /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmmm..i knew i wasn't clear. I understand about the pinion and tcase output, but doesn't the shaft have to be installed a certain way..driveshaft yoke to driveshaft yoke? hmmm..hopefully that helps.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean, and I believe you've got them 90 degrees off. BUT, it all depends on how the unit was balanced. If it came to you balanced as you have it in the picture, leave it that way. D-shafts are balanced as one unit.

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the pic is not of mine, just a pic i "heisted" from tom woods. I thought it mattered about the ends lining up...hmmm.....maybe not....

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They do have to line up. This is referred to as, "phase". If both joints aren't in phase it will vibrate your fillings out.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

well mine are not......sooooo maybe that it isnt' all TSL rumble.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Gotta fix that tommorrow.

Friday is work on truck day

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Is your d-shaft a CV like the one in the pic or is it a regular non CV (only 2 u-joints) shaft? With a non CV shaft they do need to line up...with a CV shaft I don't think it matters (if it does it couldn't be much).

If you have a non CV shaft and it isn't lined up remember that there will still be 2 different ways that you could line it up. You need to get the right one (the one it was balanced with) to have it vibe free. Might just want to take it in and have it balanced.

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

its the non cv type so it is installed wrong. So i have 50/50 chance on this one.
    Thanks for all the help

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ttt- updated in first post