Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear driveshat into NP208 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Apr 22, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

How much should the maximum be that the shaft that goes into the transfer can stick out. I suppose that it needs to stick out some so that it can travel in and out when the rear diff./suspension travels up and down.
    Does anybody know how long it is and how much should be visible on the outside. Hope you understood my explanation.

86 K5 with 350/700/NP208

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

mine sticks out (just guessing) about 2 1/2" its more of a concern of how much is still in when you get a lift and such 4" isn't a problem 6" can be a bit much.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I measured how much was sticking out from the seal to the backside of the yoke when it was stock and got exactly 3''. The entire slip shaft is 5 7/8'' to the point where it begins to taper and 6 1/4'' to the end. I would just keep it close to the factories setting (around 3'') but lift the rear of your truck untill the suspension tops out and measure how much of the slip yoke is showing to make sure that it won't pull out at full droop. Sorry I couldn't give you a minimum number left in the T-case to work with, hope this helps.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Thank you for your reply, that's what I needed to know.