Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Drum brake adjustment needed after rebuild?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Feb 3, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Im going to be rebuilding my rear drum and front disc brakes tommorrow. Complete rebuilds. Last time I changed my rear shoes, it took about 6,000 miles to wear them out! and they were worn very unevenly, all the wear was on the top of the pad. So when im done with the rebuild tommoorow, how do you make adjustments to be sure they are aligned, adjusted rite?
    Thanks

oh yeah, the local brake shop wanted 700 to do the rebuild, I said I'll do it myself for 160$, but thanks anyway. They were going to charge me 140each for new drums, i got them at the auto store for 45.00!! I can do this whole job myself for less then they would charge me for just 2 drums. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your drums are just wore WAY out. Replace those and the shoes and you may be good to go. I had to buy new drums for my 12 bolt a few years ago. Can't remember what I paid.