Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear drum brake pad install question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JST12, May 24, 2001.

1. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

I bought some new rear drum brake pads and two of the four have thick friction pads and two have thinner pads. Do the thick ones go towards the front or rear of the truck. They fit either way. I was thinking the thick ones go towards the front since the rotating drum would pull these into the drum and make them wear faster. Anyone know? Thanks, JT

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Did you already take them both apart? DON'T do that! LOL! I've been doing these for years but have that terrible disease CRS ... can't remember S*** (Sorry Jeff!)

If you haven't pulled them both down use the opposite as a guide. Helps getting the springs right. I believe you are correct ! Can't just replace the shoes (pads up front) need to serve the wheel. Do you have a manual?

Good Luck! Ask more ???

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The rear shoe (secondary)is the shoe with more friction material on it. It also has the parking brake lever hooked onto it.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Edited. Sorry, misread message. Thanks for the answer triaged.
    JT<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by JST12 on 05/24/01 11:43 AM (server time).</FONT></P>