Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR E-VAC FROM BARN DOOR

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Jul 5, 2002.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

WELL IF ANY OF YOU BARN DOOR NUTS HAVE EVER HAD TO GET OUT OF YOUR TRUCK BY CRAWLING OUT THE WINDOW THEN HAVE I GOT SOMETHING FOR YOU. FOR THE PRICE OF SOME BAILING WIRE AND A KEY RING (WHICH MOST OF US HAVE LYING AROUND YOU CAN BUILD A SIMPLE REAR DOOR RELEASE FOR THE INSIDE. I REMOVED THE REAR PANEL AND DRILLED A HOLE THROUGH THE FROM AND THE DOOR RELEASE LEVER. I ATTACHED THE WIRE TO THE LEVER THEN RAN IT THROUGH THE HOLE THEN TROUGH THE PANEL. ATTACH A KEY RING TO THE WIRE AS A PULL TAB AND WALA. EVEN MY 3 YEAR OLD SON CAN OPEN IT. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Glad to hear that it's so easy! I was thinking about scouring a JY for a nice-looking interior door handle from the barn doors of a van and adapting it to the Sub. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

i did something like that,i opened the vinyl door cover so you can just reach in and open the doors.also nice if you want to just climb in from back close the doors and lock em.trick i learned from having a 3 seat sub and driving lots of tired old guys to and from work sites.
    goodluck.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

good idea i like it a lot! can you give me some detailed instructions? i'm kinda retarded. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

ALL YOU NEED IS A SCREW DRIVER, DRILL AND BIT, AND A SOCKET TO REMOVE THE DOOR STRAP BRACKET. REMOVE ALL THE DOOR PANELLING ON THE RIGHT SIDE DOOR. AFTER THAT HAS BEEN DONE YOU CAN LOOK INSIDE AND SEE THE BACK SIDE OF THE PUSH BUTTON LATCH. WORK THE BUTTON A FEW TIMES SO YOU CAN OBSERVE WHAT MOVES. THE BUTTON SHOULD PRESS A PLATE WHICH MOVES FORWARD AND BACK. ON THE TOP CORNER (LEFT CORNER IF YOU ARE FACING DOOR FROM PANEL SIDE) DRILL A SMALL HOLE JUST BIG ENOUGH TO GET SOME WIRE THROUGH. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE FRAME OF THE DOOR INLINE WITH THE WIRE. FEED THE WIRE THOUGH THE HOLE AND DRILL A HOLE IN THE PANEL WHICH MATCHES UP WITH THE WIRE. PULL THROUGH AND ATTACH KEY RING TO WIRE. REASSEMBLE THE PANEL AND WALLA REAR DOOR RELEASE. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

cool thanks!

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Whata a great idea!

I'll have to give that one a try! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif