Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end/carrier question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by javelin, Nov 11, 2001.

1. javelin

javelin Newbie

I have an 85' with a gm 10 bolt, 8 1/2" ring gear, 3.08 gears, 28 spline axles with 6 lugs. The gov-lock is toast. Can I put my 6 lug axles into another 10 bolt/open carrier rear end that has 5 lugs & 28 spline axles? I do know the 6 lug axles are a fraction (like a 16th of an inch) longer. I gues the best way to sum this up is: are 5 lug and 6 lug axles interchangeable if they have the same spline count? Any help is vastly appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Should work fine. I have a set of 5 lugs shafts I'm about to throw in my 70 Burb when I puts disc fronts on it. I took a look with my calibrated eye and didn't notice any length difference.
    You in Atlanta by Chance?
    Fill in your bio please. helps us out if you forget to include truck info when asking questions.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. javelin

javelin Newbie

Tennessee just south of Nashville. I will fill in the bio info, Thanks for the help.