Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end Gears and the like

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82blazercletus, Aug 9, 2003.

1. 82blazercletus

82blazercletus Registered Member

ok I am pretty new to building my own rig, and so far I am enjoying it emensly. I have an 82 K5, 6.2L with 700R4 and 10 bolts front and rear. I am looking at swaping the rear 10 bolt for a 12 bolt that I have aquried,and planing on converting it to disks, what gears should I use in the rear end. Please bear in mind that I know very little about the difference in gears, like 3.10 vs 4.10. Whats good and whats should I expect to leave me out on the trail? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Sit down and make a 'big' plan. Decide what the end result will be, bigger tires, lift, and what not.

Accumulate parts that will fit into that big picture, and go from there.

This 'might' eliminate the need to do some things more than once, thus saving you some money (hopefully) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 82blazercletus

Well this is my daily driver, right now my plan is too keep it where its at. 4" Rough Country suspension and 35" mudkings. I am just not too sure on what to put in there or leave whats already there, and just how does some redneck hillbilly (ME) figure out what gears are there if it doesn't say on the dif plate or the glove box?

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Best way is to pull the cover and check everything out.

There should be a stamp on the ring gear, and look for the last set of numbers IIRC. divide them and that will give you the ratio. Putting in new gear lube is always a good idea, and if you can stand the smell, then anything you will do to your rig will be easy....

As far as what ratio to use, I can't help there, as I am not familiar enough with the 6.2....

5. 82blazercletus

Thanks for the info, I need all the help that I can get.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, here's what I would recommend - Find some axles out of a 3/4 ton that already have 4.10 gears in them. The 4.10s would work well with 35s, although with the 700R4 you could go even lower (numerically higher) than that.

The reason that I'm recommending going this route is that it will not only end up being less expensive in the long run, but you'll also have a much stronger rear axle in the truck. If you were to go with the 12 bolt and then regear it, you're looking at $150 for gears plus another few hundred for the disc kit, then another couple hundred to have the gears installed. So you're looking at $650 to get that rear axle in, and you either have mismatched gears to the front or you've regeared the rear to match the front and in doing so end up with a gear ratio that is way taller than ideal.

You could probably find a set of 3/4 ton axles for under $500, you'l already have a good gear ratio and the rear discs are much less espensive to do on the 14 bolt. This is all just my opinion, but I beleive that it's the best way to go to get the most bang for the buck.</font>

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah as Subfan said there will be numbers stamped on the ring gear example 45 12= 3.73 or 41 10=4.11 that is the number of ring and pinion teeth you just divide them. there are other numbers on there too they are like the date of manufacture.

If you are planning on running 35's 4.11's to 4.56's are perfect. Just remember if you change the gears you have to change the front too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 4.11's are common and easier to find and will be fine unless you are planning on serious crawling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Like shaggy said too it is far easier and cheaper to swap in a whole axle assembly than change out the gears and later break the 1/2 ton stuff.

Also you have the 700R4 good tranny In my opinion, but they require maintenance to last with big tires. Look for an external cooler and maybe a temp gauge. Keep up on your fluid and filter changes.

As far as rear discs I use the Az-Kickin brackets. They work very well. Do a search in the forums for rear discs and you will find many informative posts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck and welcome to the best K5 site on the net! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

This started out with a 4" lift and 35s, it will get worse, this is still my DD too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So you're looking at $650 to get that rear axle in,

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so conservative /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

In the last few weeks, I've gotten a couple of quotes for gear changes and haven't had one under $800 for my 12 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. 82blazercletus

I am thinking the only way to learn how to do it, is to get dirty and get it done, May tear a few things up along the way but I have every intention of swaping the gears myself, with enlisting the help of some friends. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif