Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end is dead

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Howdy. Apparently my good samaritan work during the snowstorm in February netted me a screwed up rear. My truck has been making some bad clunking noises when I drive. The noise is a pattern, not random. Sorta clunk, clunk, bang (really helps eh?) hehe. The local garage said I need a new rear end. I really don't wanna pay $1200 to have a stock rear end rebuilt. This is an excellent motivator to get the full ton axles done.

Problem is I have very little technical aptitude so what I need to do is find someone who can install the axles for me. If anyone within 100 miles or so (AAA+ towing range, hehe) of Baltimore, MD can do this I'd be happy to pay. I'd also be happy to assist so I can learn! I don't have the axles yet either, need to get them too. I'd also like to do the move-front-axle-forward mod at the same time if that's doable.

Can anyone help? Pleeeeeeease? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really miss my truck. It's great weather for some cap off cruising, but it's been sitting there dormant, all forlorn at being unused for so long hehe. Thanks!

PM me here or email me directly strahan@baltimorecity.gov or call me 443-324-4462.

2. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Oh BTW, I'm trying to get a loan to do the conversion but if I can't I also have the opportunity to aquire another Blazer to use for parts and just swap in another stock rear. If I go that route, whoever helps can have the rest of the truck if they want it once I grab the parts I need /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to drop an axle and replace it. I did it myself on my burb and I had never done anything ever remotely close to that level of (appearant) mechanic skill before.

all you do is unhook the brake line and shocks, drop the driveshaft, and take the 8 nuts off the ubolts, and that's it- the rear axle is off. drag the other axle under the truck and hook those few things back up, and your done. Except you'll have to tighten the lug nuts ever 100 miles or so for the first 500 miles or so.

There's really nothing to it. I used to be just like you....afraid to take on such projects. Now I just don't care anymore. I've realized the best way to learn is to just dig in and do it!

heck, this afternoon I'm gonna drop the lower unit on a 150hp outboard motor, and before this morning I didn't even know how to check the gear lube level!

4. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

True, true /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That doesn't sound very difficult. Just gotta get a place to work. Sucks living in downtown Baltimore, I have no work areas. Is the front axle as easy? For the shocks, are they under tension once the tires are off the ground or can I just unbolt? Thanks!

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep just tear into it. I am constantly learning that way, (and by searching on here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!) If ya get stuck just jump on here someone will help ya.

-Brian

6. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Yep, the front axle is just as easy, cept there's a couple more nuts or bolts for the steering stuff. Look at your new front axle and see where it's steering is disconnected, and take yours apart at the same place.

Shocks do not create tensive or compressive forces. Instead they resist/slow the motion reacting to these forces. You can remove a shock when its tire is on the ground or up in the air. It doesn't matter. However, there are such forces stored up in the spring packs, if you ever decide to tear into those.