Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear End Leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HuskerBlazer, Jun 11, 2001.

1. HuskerBlazer

HuskerBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just realized maybe I should have used a little different terminology on the Subject [​IMG]

I've got a leak on the rear of my 90 Blazer (10 bolt rear)...looks like it is leaking from where the axle shafts connect to the pumpkin. Anybody know what to do to fix this?

I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure there are no leaks from the diff cover or the pinion.

K-5...Soccer moms inquire within.

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Depends! (Sorry, couldn't resist) [​IMG]

Never heard of 'em leaking at the tube/pumpkin joint.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Mine leaks there also. I think the only way to fix it is to pull the pinion and put a new seal in. I'll probably just swap my diff fluid once in a while and call it good.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Go see a Proctoligist!

Sorry had to be done. [​IMG]
    The tupes are pressed in to the pumpkin and a rosett weld in the hole in the back. Lots of ttucks will get a moist spot around the tube. Both my 75 and 79 do it. Not really a big deal as long is it's not dripping.
    Onely cure is to pull the axle check it for true and weld all the way around the tube to the pumpkin. This is a job best left to a welder that has experiance weld cast iron to steel. The are some that feel it shouldn't be done but other swear by it...Jury is still out. I have never seen proof either way to what is better.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Oh damn! I hope that's not where mine's leaking from. My rear drips fluid. Would it run down the diff or would it drip from that spot?

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

6. HuskerBlazer

Does anybody think that a seal of silicone or something might help? Maybe even on the outside of the axle so I don't even need to open up the diff? If this seems reasonable, what might be used...thinking about he whole grease and water not mixing here.

7. HuskerBlazer

Muddin...
    Mine kind of leaks down the shafts so there is a wet spot down the length. Also looks like it is dripping down to the bottom of the pumpkin. Only really seems to do it on longer drives when everything gets heated up.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Mine's dripping from the diff. I'll bet silicone would be a good temp fix. Or JB Weld. That would be sorta permenant.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

9. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

About your silicone fix, I really don't think that that will do it. Grease eats most of the silicone I have been around. JB Weld will get very hard. If you have any flexing at all there, it will crack out. I have a healthy respect from just good old Permatex gasket sealer. Grease doesn't bother it and it has the ability to flex a little and still hold. I have never tried it in this application, however.

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was thinking of removing the rear cover and cleaning it all (just maintenance) then thoroughly cleaning the tube/pumpkin area with brake clean to make sure there is no left over gear oil and sealing it with some RTV...it works for my cover so why wouldn't it work for the tube? Use the black and nobody would even notice.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It'd also be pretty easy to braze. I've got RTV on mine and it doesn't leak (furiously knocking on desk)

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>

12. HuskerBlazer

Pugsley,

Do you have the RTV on the outside or inside. I know I should open it up and check it out, but I just kind of want a quick fix until I get a little more time on my hands.