Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear End Locked Up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 2, 2001.

I am driving down the street today, and the rear end locks up. Dead stop, not able to roll forward or back. After a tow (on dollies), I get the truck to my house, and open up the rear pumpkin, I find a screw and a couple of broken pieces that look like gear teeth in the casing. There is no visable damage to the ring or pinion, but the locker (Eaton or Auburn-stock) looks like it may be the culprit. I am not sure, as I am a rookie at this. My questions are these, can I replace the locker, or is this rear end toast. It's a 10 bolt, with (argh) 3.08 gears. I am planning on upgradiing to 4.11's this spring. Should I replace the locker and wait on the gears (money IS a factor), or just replace it all now?

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would replace it all at once so you dont have to pay someone twice on the labor of setting up the gears. They will have to reset the gears with a new locker or posi, and then have to do it again if you change the gears. Dont forget that you have to do the front to unless you dont use 4 wheel drive.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. Yes, I will definately have to change the front gearing as well, but would it be more prudent to go after the whole " meal deal" now, or wait for the the finances to become more amicable. This is not my only mode of tranportation, but I had planned to do my lift and gear swap in about two weeks early this spring. Currently, with the holidays rolling around, I would be hard pressed to afford it all at the moment.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Are you sure it is not a Govlock. They are known to go to pieces. I would upgrad now while it is apart because the only extra cost should be the gears.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

If your gonna do it. Do it all at once. It will save you around 250 dollars in the long run. The average price for setting up the gears... If you wanna wait, thats fine, but park it for a while till you have the cash. Thats up to you. But if you are going to fix it now, Do the gears to. It will only save ya down the road.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    First thing's first, positivily id what you have !
    It maybe a simple fix $.
    Other wise its gona cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Good luck

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd put a junkyard rearend in it for the time being. 3.08 geared 10 bolts ain't worth any money.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles