Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end making a BAAAD noise...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I started to hear a real bad noice the other day on the truck and I thought it was the hubs so I took them out and rebuilt them, put them back, test drove it..... and it wasn't that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have now taken the rear diff cover off (after stripping one of the bolts, AAAAGGGHHHH) and the oil is all black, , and not smelling too goo either so I'm guessing it's something there. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now that I have the cover off I was wondering if anyone has a blown up diagram of the rear Diff and parts so I can see if it might be a bearing somewhere.

Thanks guys

Kia.

2. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Whats the sound like this might help..

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

rear fluid never smells good. and it always seems to get all over you. but anyway, now that you have the cover off, spray some brake cleaner in there to clean it up so you can see everything. than check to see there are no broken teeth or excessive play in anything. like already stated, when does it make the noise?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Look at the sticker in the glove box. See if you find code "G80". That's the code for the GOV Lock limited slip aka "Grande Locker". They will sometimes make noise when they are failing.

Black gear oil is fine. Its Chocolate Milk looking that is bad. That indicates water has made it in. Used gear oil smells REAL bad.

THe G80 still has conventional looking Diff gears. On one side will be a weight deal and a gear that actuates the clutches.

Personnaly I would start hitting the US service guys and see if they might be able to help and slide a 14 bolt and D60 out the back gate from a trashed CUCV. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They might also be able to come up with a Blazer axle but the problem is the gears.

If you look on the ring gear there will be some numbers. it will be something like "12345 41 9 2345". Get us those numbers o we can figure out what gear you have.