Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dlaw36, Oct 12, 2004.

1. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

What does it mean when you hear a "roar" from the rear end when you decelerate? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably too much backlash in the ring and pinion,but it could be lots of other things--first thing to do is to pull the driveshaft off the rear end yoke and see if the big nut has come loose,if it did,this will screw up the pinion backlash,(usually the pinion seal gets trashed when this happens,and leaks )if you tighten it up right away,it may survive without damage.This is not always easy to do in your driveway,you have to hold the yoke still with a big pipe wrench,and use a breaker bar and socket to re-tourque it--some folks use the impact wrench,but if you tighten it too much,youll crush the crush sleeve inside the rear end too much,and the gears will wear out rapidly.You might be wise to take it to a gas station or repair shop that has experience in doing this kind of work--or start saving for a new rear end and stay home a lot! Or maybe you may luck out and find a bad wheel bearing or other cause for the noise--good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

It is always something.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    What is the torque setting for the yoke nut?

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I had this same noise at one time after the local shop just regeared the rear end. Come to find out the carrier bearings were bad and burnt up. You might want to check that after you retorque the pinion nut.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You could have a bad ujoint...

I had the same problem and tried everything to fix it. Turns out, dropping the tcase fixed the problem. Under load, the dline was quiet but when I decelerated, it would complain loudly. I thought it was the rear end so I swapped it. Still there so I thought it might be the tcase. Swapped that too with no success. Tried a couple sets of ujoints and even bought a new cv drive line. The cv drive line had its own problems /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyways, it took about 15 minutes to lower the transfer case and my problem was solved. Give it a try...

6. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

Thanks quys, I will give that a look. I am thinking that it is the driveline because of the nasty angle that it is in. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I will check it all out and let you know what I found.

7. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

Problem solved!! Bad angle in driveline. I dropped the t-case and it is quiet now. I can drive 90 now without problems!

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif